Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New start bank

New start bank

Contemplating a lighter alternative for two 8d’s for my starting bank for my LRC’s 453s. Would have to fit into my two 8d boxes. Anyone have any ideas or something that has worked?
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Re: New start bank

Went with two 8Ds for the starting bank.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Re: New start bank

I suppose your intent, like mine was, is to save weight when carrying the batteries into or out of the boat.
    Some time ago I replaced the 2 8d's used to start the port 671 with 4d's. That worked fine; however, when it came time to replace them, the owner of the place where I buy batteries suggested a pair of group 27 batteries which were even easier to carry and the two fit in one 8d box leaving the other battery box to store spare engine oil.
    All the port batteries do is start the port engine and power the windlass. The 2 smaller batteries seem more than sufficient and the use of a pair of 8d's seems like typical Hatteras over capacity.
    That's been my experience.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956