Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Galley Maid Windlass removal

If your galley maid windlass is operational I would be interested in buying it from you.
    Jason
    Orange Beach, AL
    1984 46C

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Pascal,

I am in the same boat so to speak. My nicely working OEM windlass does not have a chain gipsy either.

I am planning on repairing the rotten core on the foredeck working from above and I am going to remove the bowsprit so the windlass has to go. I would like to replace it with a Lofrans "Tigres" which I had on my previous 42' catamaran. Loved it!

Jon
    Sent my windlass into Galleymaid in 2004 and had them add the longer shaft and gypsy. It came back with a new deckplate, new foot switches, and a new relay box.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

UPDATE. Ordered my new windlass. Timing was good because they have a new model with even more capacity they are building called the F-850-DW. So my Galley Maid will be coming off this winter when I swap out. For anyone interested in purchasing it when I was looking at space in the locker and room for my install I took some pictures of it. It is in very nice condition.

Will be available for pick up in Madeira Beach or I travel a lot for work on the east coast. Something could be worked out.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

PIX added
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by pdog View Post
    If your galley maid windlass is operational I would be interested in buying it from you.
    We may have a job coming up in Dallas so maybe passing by. Pictures of Galley Maid are posted.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMck View Post
    So what model Good are you going with? Been thinking of replacing the Ideal on my 45C
    New model with stronger motor is F-850-DW. Not on there website yet but they are building them. They are waiting to introduce new model a a boat show but no secret they are available now. Mine is in the way.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Pictures look good. Any idea what you want for it? I just pulled my galley maid out of the boat. I do not anchor much so didn't want to spend the coin on a brand new windlass. I am definitely interested.
    Jason
    Orange Beach, AL
    1984 46C

I replaced my Galley Maid last August when I bought the boat. Unlike yours mine was not working and a winter freeze had split the bottom unit. Taking out the hardware was NOT a difficult process. I replaced with a Lofranc 1500 and 150' chain rode. The new unit is much more streamlined and the power pack in the chain locker is 'tinny' compared to what the Galley Maid required. I'd say the swap worked great and weight wise things really didn't change that much. My chain weight give or take has to be close to the weight of that old GM and my new windless give or take replaced the weight of the combo rope and chain rode. Plus I upgrade to a 55 lbs anchor and use the old 45 lbs bruce on the combo rope and chain rode as my backup. (1986 43' MY)

Excuse my potential ignorance, but how does a freeze kill a windlass?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Excuse my potential ignorance, but how does a freeze kill a windlass?
    probably water in the gear box
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.