Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Galley Maid Windlass removal

I plan on swapping out my perfectly good windlass to install a Good Automatic Windlass I can control from the bridge. Anchoring is a big thing for us and I need control from the bridge.
    So how hard is it to remove? anyone know?
    Also it will be for sale once removed. Again Capt. Dave had everything working perfectly on the boat and while he didn't use it had it rebuilt as his deal was everything needs to be operational. Not sure of the value. Also not sure if it's 12V or 24V. Have to check.

This is on the 46, not the 34.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Galley Maid Windlass removal

Confused... you re pulling a perfectly working, overbuilt, strong, heavy duty windlass just because it is not controlled from the FB?? Just run three wires from the relay box to the the FB.... which you ll have to do anyway.

My GM is controller but Foot switches, from the lower helm And from the FB

What did I miss?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

But prefer to drop from the bridge and judge the set myself. Also the Good will drop chain and rode into the locker. Price is no issue compared to keeping 42,000 pounds off the beach and also pull up quick with incoming storms when the sky gets blacker than expected (can I still say that?).

We anchor backed into beached and sandbars a lot so it comes down to how we use the boat. Do appreciate the input.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I agree. I always control the windlass from the FB so I can control the boat. No issue doing this with the GM, it s just a matter of run the wires and hook them up in the relay box Chain feeds fine in the locker, never had a jam. If anchoring is important you want all chain or at least 100/150’ of chain. Between my boat and the 84 footer I run we anchor at least 120 days a year

I pulled the windlass to get it rebuilt last year, it s a bear of job. Then you ll have to glass holes etc.
    Last edited by Pascal; 06-29-2020 at 09:49 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Mine is the type where you wrap line around 3 times and the provide tension to line to get it to grip and pull. Once chain is up 100% manual pull. That is also an issue with weight and the ability to pull, reverse, and clean the anchor. Also we anchor up in tight areas where control is number one concern. Other boats, Current, Wind, all that. If it doesn't set when it should have I need to be able to pull up, move forward NOW!! Have never hit another boat. Prefer to keep it that way.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

So you don’t have a chain gipsy? Yeah that’s unpractical. Never understood why anyone would put one of these on a boat
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal,

I am in the same boat so to speak. My nicely working OEM windlass does not have a chain gipsy either.

I am planning on repairing the rotten core on the foredeck working from above and I am going to remove the bowsprit so the windlass has to go. I would like to replace it with a Lofrans "Tigres" which I had on my previous 42' catamaran. Loved it!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

If you like the GM hardware, then order a longer shaft and a chain gypsy.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I plan on swapping out my perfectly good windlass to install a Good Automatic Windlass I can control from the bridge. Anchoring is a big thing for us and I need control from the bridge.
    So how hard is it to remove? anyone know?
    Also it will be for sale once removed. Again Capt. Dave had everything working perfectly on the boat and while he didn't use it had it rebuilt as his deal was everything needs to be operational. Not sure of the value. Also not sure if it's 12V or 24V. Have to check.

This is on the 46, not the 34.
    So what model Good are you going with? Been thinking of replacing the Ideal on my 45C

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMck View Post
    So what model Good are you going with? Been thinking of replacing the Ideal on my 45C
    F-850C. I have the smaller one on my 34 and it has been great. They look better that what the picture on the web site shows..
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP