Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dogs on Boats

Re: Dogs on Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    I love boating. My wife loves to sit on the sofa with her dogs and read. So I drive around a boat with a large sofa full of dogs.
    Hmmm, not sure the wife would like being called a dog...... Meanwhile, I drive a motorhome like that..... One Chihuahua for now. I've been told there's gonna be more.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Remember to be considerate with the fireworks on the 4th. Seems boaters like to celebrate its fine but many of our canine friends don’t tolerate them well. Same goes for our Veterans with PTSD. Years ago I was at Walkers Cay when a bunch of yahoos in a center console were setting off a bunch of fireworks. An older couple in a trawler had their little dog freak out and jumped in the water and drowned.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Hmmm, not sure the wife would like being called a dog......
    My second wife was a dog (speaking nicely on the forum).

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I raised seven Pomeranians on three different boats. They absolutely loved it. For those of you who like to raft out one of the things that I did which saved running around looking for land, I bought a 6 foot round swimming pool and put sod in the bottom. They ran up to the front did their business and then ran right back inside the boat.
    We're on Pom #5 and all spent lots of time on boats, from my 18' skiff fishing marlin in Hawaii to the 60c in Mexico. All of them except the latest merle would pee on pads. The sod is a great idea! He also gets anxiety under way and has to be with the captain (me) at all times. other than that, he's gotta be with his momma. He went overboard once at the dock and learned his lesson quickly.

Treats and rewards are the key to acclimating your dog to the boat and associating it with enjoyment not torture. a couple uneventful but happy days onboard should help immensely.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    We have 2 Boston’s that are by our heels anytime we go near the boat. Not sure if it our boat or their boat at this point.
    us too, we have to spell boat so they dont get too excited ahead of time
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

louie2.jpgOur pug loves the boat as does my daughter's pug when he comes to visit. Keeping them cool is key though. Good luck.
    Last edited by Oldlaxer1; 06-29-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Not sure about underway yet but Sasha loves vegging on it, enough projects should have her aboard again. Her little sister Alice might get a chance 1st. Boat behind me has a Catpitan :P
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    Attachment 41253Our pug loves the boat as does my daughter's pug when he comes to visit. Keeping them cool is key though. Good luck.
    we leave the aft salon door open whenever the dogs are aboard so they can get in the air conditioning if the want to
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Fred has trouble distinguishing between SAE and metric tools, so now he’s just a hammer mechanic.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Chip does electronics and controllers
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.