Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dogs on Boats

Dogs on Boats

We brought our pug on the boat for the first time, and he got so anxious (panting and hyperventilating) that we had to take him home. We tried twice, same result. Yet he has stayed at a strange house (kennel) before and no issues. Must be the constant slight movement of the boat? Has anyone else had similar issues and were they resolved?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Dogs on Boats

I had a cat that didn't like car rides the first few times. Hid under the seat and cried. After a couple of short trips she was steering. Paws couldn't reach the pedals though.

On a more serious note, although the above is somewhat true, are you taking the boat out, or did you let the dog experience the boat a few times at the dock first? It's probably something that requires gradual acclimation. Get him used to the territory and the smells and some gradual motion. Then run the engines a bit. Puppy steps.

My friend's dog loves his boat, but flipped out on mine. Different environment, different engine noise, smells etc. She whined and cried for the entire ride. She loves being out on his boat, so it's not boats or the motion by itself. I think they get overwhelmed by too many new experiences at the same time.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Toonces?😄
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I raised seven Pomeranians on three different boats. They absolutely loved it. For those of you who like to raft out one of the things that I did which saved running around looking for land, I bought a 6 foot round swimming pool and put sod in the bottom. They ran up to the front did their business and then ran right back inside the boat.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

We were only at the dock. We were preparing for next weekend when we will be out on the water.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Every dog I've ever had loved boats. Some dogs are even superior line handlers.

IMG_1792.jpg
    Meet Fred.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

7. Re: Dogs on Boats

Keep at it, he will get used to it. I adoped a 6yr Dachshund that hated it at first but she got used to it. Bring his bed and favorite toys that will make him feel at home.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

my boston terriers love going on the boat.
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    my boston terriers love going on the boat.
    We have 2 Boston’s that are by our heels anytime we go near the boat. Not sure if it our boat or their boat at this point.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

We had two pugs and now two Frenchies and a really old pug.

Pugs get hot real fast because they cool through their little noses. They also get blinded by light reflecting off of the water and the deck. Keep them cool and in the shade and they will settle down.

We have one pug that can hear dolphins and barks at them whether in port or underway. It's fascinating and the other dogs are clueless.

I love boating. My wife loves to sit on the sofa with her dogs and read. So I drive around a boat with a large sofa full of dogs.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54mY with ext.)
    Tampa