Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Cruisair mystery cut off

Thanks for all the input...
    The system is analog so just a relay and two capacitors. I looked on the schematic and see only a high pressure switch, no low pressure cut off. wfah 5-16c condensor

Would compressor cut out by itself for low freon without switch?

There should be low pressure switch in the system. Compressors also have a temperature cut off but I doubt that would kick in so quickly. Was the compressor hot?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The temperature switch is also an over current device. Pops from heat or current that also heats it up. Resets in about a minute or less. You can hear it click. If that’s what it is just get a good AC guy to diagnose. I spent way too much time and effort. They know what to check and in what order.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

So I did find what looks like a low pressure switch on the cap tube behind the control box. It is not on the schematic.

The unit is cold since it will not run more than 1 second.
    Pattern is it tries to run> compressor starts for 1 second and stops. About 1 minute later same exact thing. it is a perfect loop trying to start every 50 seconds then stops.

Cannot get pressure reading running since it will not stay on for more than 1 second. Shows about 100psi equal for high and low not running

edit... That must be the reversing valve not LP switch
    Last edited by boozubay; 06-27-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Clixon on the compressor?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by boozubay View Post
    Thanks for all the input...
    The system is analog so just a relay and two capacitors. I looked on the schematic and see only a high pressure switch, no low pressure cut off. wfah 5-16c condensor

Would compressor cut out by itself for low freon without switch?
    Could you send a pic of the switch and where the tube connects to the compressor.

Small tube from the compressor is high pressure, larger tube to the compressor is the low pressure.

Yes, when the compressor starts, it draws down the low side lower. If it's a low pressure switch, it will behave exactly as you have noted.

A bad run cap, bad contactor or bad/burnt wire theoretically could do this also.

Where are you hiding your boat? I can help if your close.
    I'm in Satsuma, 32189.

We are in Tampa Bay... Dunedin to be exact

I figured I would come back and post the answer for those that me be having a similar issue....

After swapping capacitors, relay, bypassing HP switch I found there is a thermal overload switch under the cap where the wires run into the compressor.. That was the culprit!

Bypassed to test and OMG it stayed on.... There was a little problem with too much gas in the compressor and in 30 seconds it did a death wobble and done! Compressor is destroyed from over pressure.

Expensive lesson to learn.... So the little $30 part could have saved me a ton of time.

A professional may have gone right to this or maybe not. So a new compressor will be in route and now I get to learn compressor replacement and evac. Learning from mistakes is a way to learn even if it can be expensive lol.

3 weeks waiting for an AC guy to come out is just insane.

We live aboard so had to make a run to Home Depot for a portable ac for the master so we can sleep in comfort. Any advice about compressor replacement is welcome too!

On a positive spin, I now feel I know these systems pretty intimately. They are pretty simple since no control boards, just a relay and to capacitors...

If anyone knows the correct tecumseh compressor for a WFAH16c that woulld help a lot. Going to call Flagship marine near us next for parts...

That's the clixon. It's there for a reason. My previous post evidently never mad the site.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.