Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: CO2 Fire Extinguisher

Quote Originally Posted by cenger View Post
    I have a very large Co2 bottle in my 55C (5’) that makes it difficult to get to the starboard side of the engine. It is mounted right in front of the starboard engine so I have to squeeze in from the back which is a PITA. It is time for the Co2 inspection and I’d like to replace it with something more compact. Has anyone replaced the Co2 with a newer Fireboy systems? Could 2 smaller bottles replace the one large bottle? Do the Fireboy systems save space? Thank you in advance for your input.
    Wondering if yours is mounted as mine, overhead on fwd bulkhead?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

2. Re: CO2 Fire Extinguisher

Randy Co2 canister is located on the forward bulkhead but is not mounted overhead. The 5' 200lb bottle is standing straight up leaving only enough room for a small child to fit between the canister and the front of the engine. I forgot to snap a picture. I’d be curious what you system looks like if you have a good photo.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Randy Co2 canister is located on the forward bulkhead but is not mounted overhead. The 5' 200lb bottle is standing straight up leaving only enough room for a small child to fit between the canister and the front of the engine. I forgot to snap a picture. I’d be curious what you system looks like if you have a good photo.
    I'll take a pic this week. I've got one, but have to go through 3K to find it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

4. Re: CO2 Fire Extinguisher

Thank you Robert.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C

Thank you Robert.
    This may not be of much help. You can just see the business end of the cylinder, top right. Mine, I don't think, is quite as large as yours. But being mounted overhead, it doesn't really impede getting around the front of the motor once you are used to concussions--hard hat area.

IMG_0583.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: CO2 Fire Extinguisher

Thank you Robert, that is what I had in mind, something that is more manageable in size. My canister is 4X that size. I assumed there were more compact ways to do it. Is that Co2 or Halon?
    SCUSI
    1981 55C

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Look at US Coast Guard regulation 46 CFR 147.65 CO2 fixed systems must be inspected every 12 years . If they have been discharged and more than 5 years has elapsed since the last test it must be retested before recharging
    It’s CO2
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Any update on what you decided to do with the CO2 thing behind the fridge?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA