Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: CO2 Fire Extinguisher

12 years is the number unless it has been discharged. There is a thread here about how to test the system, Mr Clarckson I believe. Disconnect the bottle first. I just had my bottle out this spring for fresh paint and testing. I had it back in a week and under 100.00 dollars. The receipt is in the log book.

Walt Hoover

Sadly showing my age, been a while since I read any of this stuff and it gets more confusing as I read more.
    After 1991, lots of pre-engineered fire systems (fixed systems) CO2 bottles, the first inspection may be up to 12 years from install on pleasure vessels. The next inspections can be then, in 7 years.
    This assumes that the system has never been discharged or the system has not been damaged.

To avoid my head from exploding, I could not read anything on inspected (COI) vessels.

CFR 49, Part 180.209 (6) (b) (2) Note 2: The 10-year retest period may be extended to a 12-year period, and the 5-year retest period may be extended to a 7-year period after expiration of the first 12-year period.

So, it was every 5 years after a 10 year window that has now been extended to 7 years after the first 12 years is how I read this.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-23-2020 at 10:16 AM.

That is kind of confusing. Do you agree that for our boats, the inspection schedule is every 12 years? Assuming the system has never been discharged.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

When we managed a few boats in Jax, We had a small company keep tabs on all the fire equipment. We schedule young & strong backs when the time came to R&R bottles.
    Thankfully, Shelly knew all these rules and removed the headaches from us and the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    That is kind of confusing. Do you agree that for our boats, the inspection schedule is every 12 years? Assuming the system has never been discharged.
    The way I read it, the first inspection is in 12 years, then every 7.

On another web page, I just found this for pleasure boats;
    NFPA requirements state that fire extinguishers must have hydrostatic tests every 12 years.

This says every 12 years per NFPA (National Fire Protection Association).

The more I read, the more confused I get. Seems the term "Portable" keeps appearing. I assume we are still talking about fixed CO2 systems.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-23-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Did find SCUBA bottles are every 5 years but keep finding conflicting info on fixed CO2 fire control bottles.

I got to get out the door. If your happy with what schedule you have on your fixed bottles, I concede to you,''Big Smiles".

I have always thought 12 years was appropriate for pleasure vessels , did mine a couple of years ago, engine and generator room , removed , pressure tested and refilled, also painted with red awlgrip. The quote $1700, the bill $3400, welcome to Miami ! They did discharge both bottles and tested the heat sensors. They mentioned that on some newer boats they visit, the manual discharge did not work because it was not rigged correctly. One thing I did not want to hear is that they are urging insurance companies to mandate a complete inspection of the fire extinguishers every year , even on private vessels.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Years ago I heard a presentation at a Hatteras meeting by a retired Coast Guard Officer who worked for one of the major marine insurance companies. He was specifically asked if we should replace our CO2 with Halon at the time. He said he would NOT replace the CO2 if it was his boat. He said one of his responsibilities was to inspect fire damaged boats. He said the CO2 units showed less damage than other systems. He said it was hard to beat CO2 in putting out a fire on board. I have mine serviced on board the boat for what I consider a reasonable expense in Ft Lauderrdale.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I have always thought 12 years was appropriate for pleasure vessels , did mine a couple of years ago, engine and generator room , removed , pressure tested and refilled, also painted with red awlgrip. The quote $1700, the bill $3400, welcome to Miami ! They did discharge both bottles and tested the heat sensors. They mentioned that on some newer boats they visit, the manual discharge did not work because it was not rigged correctly. One thing I did not want to hear is that they are urging insurance companies to mandate a complete inspection of the fire extinguishers every year , even on private vessels.
    That makes sense. Brand new tanks are about $500 each.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

10. Re: CO2 Fire Extinguisher

I have a very large Co2 bottle in my 55C (5’) that makes it difficult to get to the starboard side of the engine. It is mounted right in front of the starboard engine so I have to squeeze in from the back which is a PITA. It is time for the Co2 inspection and I’d like to replace it with something more compact. Has anyone replaced the Co2 with a newer Fireboy systems? Could 2 smaller bottles replace the one large bottle? Do the Fireboy systems save space? Thank you in advance for your input.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328