Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Trying to decide 58 LRC or 58/61 Motoryacht.

Not much I can add to this discussion except: do not discount the 63’ MY either. The 61 is a 56’ My with a 5’ extension and the 63 is a 58’ MY with a 5’ extension. The extra 2’ is not going to be noticed in the marina, but it will be in terms of living space.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    A motoryacht is not an LRC replacement. The LRC is build differently. Access for maintenance is better. Systems are easier to service and maintain because it's made to be a passage maker not a floating condo.

I have a customer with a passage maker with twin cummins 330 hp engines. Turning 3 inch shafts and big gears. Twin generators in a huge and easy to work in engine room. Everything is made to be serviced while cruising. Nothing is hard to get to except the 3 inverters for the priority circuits that are 8 or 10 feet in the air. The engines are QSM11s and should last 10,000 plus hours or more between majors. I've never seen a motoryacht even close to as well laid out system wise but the trade off is less living space in some instances.
    Scott, what make of boat is this? Just curious.

https://www.charterworld.com/index.h...lue-dream-7201

I dont know if the owner actually chartes it because 2 years ago it was not available for charter. Some these sights take a little poetic license.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

LRC is overrated. Hard chines, windows that won't survive true blue water encounters, doors that don't seal well enough for major storms. It's a semi-modified hatteras motoryacht with smaller engines and bigger tanks. It is not a Nordhavn.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

However, a Hatteras LRC completed the Nordhavn Atlantic Rally a few years back. All the way to Gibraltar, if I am not mistaken.

I've seen a 58LRC hauled out. It's been a few years, but I had the impression it was a rounder hull, a displacement design.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post

I've seen a 58LRC hauled out. It's been a few years, but I had the impression it was a rounder hull, a displacement design.
    See pics here: https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh.....is-it-really
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    That's not really my interpretation of a vessel with hard chines. It a couple of chines with the most significant portions certainly being well rounded. Even the "hard chine" portion is a rather large angle that at least approaches 135.

I do agree that it's a little light on power.
    Last edited by rtrafford; 06-23-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Interesting photos. I wouldn't exactly call it a hard chine, it's rounder than a MY or convertible, but it's not as round as I would have thought. So I guess it's a semi-displacement hull but with displacement power. l

The flatter aft section makes some sense in terms of reducing roll through form stability vs. a purely rounded hull. As an additional observation, the hulls of most Nordhavn models have flatter aft sections as well.

In terms of their seaworthiness, the only comment I would have is that I have seen a few with US home ports in very distant ports including a 58 LRC that I saw in Fremantle, Western Australia which is about as far away as you can get.

Nordhaven in a sling...

hqdefault.jpg