Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Navionics Scam

Navionics Scam

Ok not exactly. If you respond to their renewal notice, beware. I renewed first of June for a card expiring the 15th. New card arrived with expiration of June 1, 2021. I paid for a year last year but lost two weeks. Pretty sorry situation. 39 mins on hold. Then 23 more to learn there’s nothing they’re going to do about it. Not much money I’m out. Two weeks here, two weeks there...lots of money they scam from lots of customers.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Navionics Scam

You lost a few bucks... consider yourself lucky some have lost their boats because of Craponics.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Robert, I agree with you.....

Sort of like killing you with kindness and doing business with the corpse.

PRESS RELEASE

Garmin buys Navionics. Garmin has bought the Italian electronic navigation charts company, Navionics. In a media statement, Garmin said it would be retaining the Navionics brand, and stressed the firm's existing customers would continue to be supported.Oct 30, 2017
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

They all do that. Sea tow sent me a renewal 45 days out. Im sure it would have started over the day I paid them. Going to wait until it expires before I renew. NRA used to do the same thing. Others scam you with auto renew.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    They all do that. Sea tow sent me a renewal 45 days out. Im sure it would have started over the day I paid them. Going to wait until it expires before I renew. NRA used to do the same thing. Others scam you with auto renew.
    Nope, Seatow same expiration for last five years. Documentation, insurance, etc.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You lost a few bucks... consider yourself lucky some have lost their boats because of Craponics.
    They forgot where they left their boats?

Do tell. I've been using it for many years with very few complaints... or lost boats. It still rivals information I get on dedicated chartplotters, even the latest, greatest Garmin touchscreens.

As far as this falling into the category of a scam, that's a bit of a stretch. The only feature I would categorize as possibly falling into the scam category is them advertising the merits of their auto-routing feature. It is severely limited where the ICW or rivers are concerned as it requires more waypoint data than the system will allow. Yes, you can route a trip in legs ahead of time, but it's still lacking. All that said, it's an unbeatable value.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    They forgot where they left their boats?Do tell. I've been using it for many years with very few complaints... or lost boats. It still rivals information I get on dedicated chartplotters, even the latest, greatest Garmin touchscreens. As far as this falling into the category of a scam, that's a bit of a stretch. The only feature I would categorize as possibly falling into the scam category is them advertising the merits of their auto-routing feature. It is severely limited where the ICW or rivers are concerned as it requires more waypoint data than the system will allow. Yes, you can route a trip in legs ahead of time, but it's still lacking. All that said, it's an unbeatable value.
    Yep, I auto routed 26 miles to give me an idea of arrival time via ICW. Too much for it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Yep, I auto routed 26 miles to give me an idea of arrival time via ICW. Too much for it.
    I'm sure there is a limit to the number of waypoints it can use for a route, but I have no idea what that number is. It basically boils down to how many turns are on a route as to how far it will take you. It'll crap out in 10 miles on some river twisties.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93