Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helm Seats

Helm Seats

Hello all, it has been awhile

We have parted ways from our Hatt and downsized to another 31 Bertram project boat (you would think I'd have learned)

I hope I can still tap into the brain-trust here for an occasional question or two, as this has always been a helpful genial group of folks...That said, I was hoping to get some feedback on helm chair seating.

I was thinking Pompanette, but am really not familiar with any other product lines, and having done a search here, I believe I read a comment from the good Dr. Jim about they are a bit difficult to deal with?

Any feedback is most appreciated!!

Re: Helm Seats

If you can reach Scott Sneathen at Pompanette, he can help you out and get you what you need. Avoid Gladdie at the FtL store, he's no help on anything. Mostly Pompanette are just disorganized, or lazy- they aren't mean. Just dumb.

Re: Helm Seats

I started with four Pompanette chairs, oem from Hatteras: bridge helm, salon helm, two fishing (not fighting) chairs. Since these are 54 years old now all have been recovered and some rebuilt so I should cut them some slack. The pedestal bridge chair was not very comfortable but its interior plywood seat, back and arm rests all delaminated. I replaced it with a Stidd demo I bought from the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. Much more comfortable, with various adjustments for the Admiral when she steers. As I recall it was about the same price as the original replacement, making me think there were sleeping on their laurels. The fishing chairs are mostly used for aft outdoor seating. The anodized aluminum has held up pretty well but all the plywood has been or needs replacing. The arms are screwed into the wood seat and so the arms are always wobbly, either from the machine screws into the base or the arm rest screws on the bottom.

I would complain to Pompanette except they are probably out of warrantee.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932