Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Convertible Discussion

So we have had our 46c for a while now and still love the boat. We have brand loyalty until the day we die.

The discussion came up about possibly upgrading before we start traveling with the boat.

My main requirements are:

3 staterooms and 2 heads
    Walk in engine room with cockpit access
    If not a second small generator then at least room to install one

There are other niceties they would help but those are the only things that would get us out of our boat.

We would like to stay 55' or down but move up a little from 1978. I don't really have a budget yet but I don't think anything after 2000 will be in it.

I'm just looking for ideas from some of you that have a vast knowledge of the convertible line up.

Re: Convertible Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    So we have had our 46c for a while now and still love the boat. We have brand loyalty until the day we die.

The discussion came up about possibly upgrading before we start traveling with the boat.

My main requirements are:

3 staterooms and 2 heads
    Walk in engine room with cockpit access
    If not a second small generator then at least room to install one

There are other niceties they would help but those are the only things that would get us out of our boat.

We would like to stay 55' or down but move up a little from 1978. I don't really have a budget yet but I don't think anything after 2000 will be in it.

I'm just looking for ideas from some of you that have a vast knowledge of the convertible line up.
    I just had my annual physical this week. Let me check with my doctor and get back with you.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have a 1985 52C 2 stateroom configuration. Of course they have a 3 stateroom model as well. Almost checks all your boxes, sorta. I'm 6'0 and I have bend over a bit to walk about the engine room. I have a 20kw and 8kw genny plus a water maker. With 8v92's its a very busy engine room. Inside of both engines are fairly easy to service, outside,,, helps to be small with monkey like flexibility.

Access is through cockpit but you have to twist oddly to spin around from facing stern to bow. Mine was a very very nice conditioned boat "best older sf boat" my surveyor has seen in many years. I have mather micro's in three stations, tuna tower is all stainless, solid engines, extra thick ss railings, new bottom paint, nice dingy etc. I'm in Ca so boats run a bit higher here, paid slightly under 150k. It was clearly the nicest boat for the money we saw under 200k.

I haven't been on a 55C but a super sixty checks all your boxes. The engine room is just huge and you have cockpit and inside the boat access. I wanted a 60' but the only 2 available on the west coast were pretty much hammered dog poop. I opted for the better quality boat rather than my ideal boat.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I just had my annual physical this week. Let me check with my doctor and get back with you.
    Teaser
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

55 C fits the bill but you will get 3 heads instead of 2, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    55 C fits the bill but you will get 3 heads instead of 2, most likely.
    Our '88 55' has two heads but it also only has two staterooms, fwd bunks and master
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Our '88 55' has two heads but it also only has two staterooms, fwd bunks and master
    Must be galley down model?

Galley up is 3 and 3.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Must be galley down model?
    yes sir, dinette and galley down
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy