Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: Thank you HOF but you couldn’t save her!

Quote Originally Posted by car54 View Post
    Price drop to 49k. Someone is getting more realistic.
    Getting closer to realistic value of near zero. It's a 100-150k boat (if that) with both engines running.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I think the photos look decently good for an 80s boat. My point about the repower with Cats (just for an example) is that these hot rod diesels are fragile, and putting in 3412s or C32s or similar would get you a reliable boat at a price less than that of rebuilding the damaged engine, or replacing it. Replacing the blown up MTU would still leave you with one potential grenade in the boat.

I asked Cummins; unfortunately they don't make anything in this hp class for recreational boats, and M11s are not big enough. If you could find a pair of running big Cat takeouts and freshen them up, you might be able to have a running and usable 65C at a somewhat reasonable price.

O K , You kids have my attention. I found a set of 396s. What else is wrong with this boat other it's in yankee land? I'm south of Jax FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    O K , You kids have my attention. I found a set of 396s. What else is wrong with this boat other it's in yankee land? I'm south of Jax FL.
    Sent you a PM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Sent you a PM.
    Could you please share? Would really like to follow along with this one.

Heard there was once one like this in PR, a while back, missing motors. They couldn't even give it away.

Were the 396's a reliable engine? 1350hp sure does seem like a lot of hp out of a v8. Wonder if there is room in there for larger power? Throw a set of cats in there and you may be able to get her back on the water for a reasonable price.

From my experience live aboard dock queens always seem pretty ratty in the interior space. This boat has some things going for it, but also lots of things going against it.... I think something in the $20k range and they may find an interested buyer capable of dumping cash in it for repower and refit.

I have no experience with the 65, is it a solid heavy sea boat?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Said to be. I have not run one and don't have any time on one, but we have several forum members who own them.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Were the 396's a reliable engine? 1350hp sure does seem like a lot of hp out of a v8. Wonder if there is room in there for larger power? Throw a set of cats in there and you may be able to get her back on the water for a reasonable price.

From my experience live aboard dock queens always seem pretty ratty in the interior space. This boat has some things going for it, but also lots of things going against it.... I think something in the $20k range and they may find an interested buyer capable of dumping cash in it for repower and refit.

I have a 65 convertible open bridge. I absolutely love this boat. I have the MTU motors, and they are work horses and very reliable. Many Detroit and MTU mechanics love these motors as well, and claim they are high time engines if maintained. So far parts have not been that un reasonable.

I cruise my boat at 23 knots, and she does not feel the sea. Very stable. If I want to push her she is 30+ knots.

I must be getting old, because 23-25 knots is comfortable. In an open bridge boat, 25 mph wind hitting you makes conversation hard. You have to yell, and keep the radios up loud. I have been on 30 and 40 knot boats. Cannot hear a thing because of wind noise, always have to stand behind someone to hear. Sometime during the trip out or in, there is going to be a head wind. That puts wind through the bridge at 30+ mph, so believe it or not, I throttle back a little at times.

These MTU motors are all over Europe, and I hear a good Detroit/MTU mechanic can locate parts and cores.

I hope someone picks up this boat ant brings her back.

But that is just me.

Tim
    Fishtales 65c

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post

FWIW back in the day when they were new if you saw a 65 “on the tilt” (listing) it was a MYU boat. Everyone I new had major problems with the MTU’s at low hours. The DDECS had a bad reputation also. Several went into gear on their own and Tboned other boats. I actually saw the incident at the Big game club in Bimini. That and the fact that the things like reduced keel to get the speed out of them makes them track poorly when trolling in a seaway. This has always hurt the price of these boats from day 1. I have taken a bunch of heat for saying this but if the owners are realistic they bought the boats because they were a great deal. I remember about 10 years ago a member bought a mint one with 12/92’s for less than beat up 52c’s we’re going for.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I looked at a 65 enclosed in Ft lauderdale in spring 2019 called Gone Cuco. It needed the starboard 16v92 rebuilt,the port had been done already. It was priced fairly and I thought at the time if bought right even with a rebuild it would be worth it. I wonder where it ended up, the owner was from the Chicago area I beleive.

Walt Hoover