Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Thank you HOF but you couldn’t save her!

Not many understand what stewardship of an old girl means, or entails.

I hope to be room temperature when my next, and last boat is sold.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

When I bought Esperanza from Capt. Dave Disesia I knew I was getting a gem. It was so pristine, especially the ER. Not perfect but still spectacular for a 1982. Didn't even survey because I trusted Dave to have in the best condition. And I know he did not even want to hear a "surveyor" critique the boat.

Anyway the deal was done and we brought her home September of 18. I decided right away that this must be maintained in pristine condition. We are maintaining everything in ER properly. Right now I have a minor vibration on port side. Hauling out next month to check prop, shaft, and probably throw in new cutlass. Not taking any chances.

Interior wood was all refinished last winter and the new teak and holly in salon is complete. They are working on teak and holly for guest SR, guest head, and galley now. Big bucks but will maintain and improve as I promised myself. All minor issues are addressed as they come up, not when finally broken.

Think Dave would appreciate. And the boat is seeing new adventures as well.

Thought I would throw my story into this thread. It is a shame what has happened to the OP's 65. When you sell at that point you have zero control of what happens next. But I suspect there are way more success stories than ones like the 65. Nearly all people buy especially older boats like Hatteras, Bertram, CC, and many other oldie but goodies with nothing in mind but cleaning them up, improving them, and new adventures.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    When I bought Esperanza from Capt. Dave Disesia I knew I was getting a gem. It was so pristine, especially the ER. Not perfect but still spectacular for a 1982. Didn't even survey because I trusted Dave to have in the best condition. And I know he did not even want to hear a "surveyor" critique the boat.

Anyway the deal was done and we brought her home September of 18. I decided right away that this must be maintained in pristine condition. We are maintaining everything in ER properly. Right now I have a minor vibration on port side. Hauling out next month to check prop, shaft, and probably throw in new cutlass. Not taking any chances.

Interior wood was all refinished last winter and the new teak and holly in salon is complete. They are working on teak and holly for guest SR, guest head, and galley now. Big bucks but will maintain and improve as I promised myself. All minor issues are addressed as they come up, not when finally broken.

Think Dave would appreciate. And the boat is seeing new adventures as well.

Thought I would throw my story into this thread. It is a shame what has happened to the OP's 65. When you sell at that point you have zero control of what happens next. But I suspect there are way more success stories than ones like the 65. Nearly all people buy especially older boats like Hatteras, Bertram, CC, and many other oldie but goodies with nothing in mind but cleaning them up, improving them, and new adventures.
    I've worked with Dave on a number of things, including Esperanza and I think I can safely agree that he would appreciate you maintaining his girl to Hatteras standards. I know a little of his history with and how much he cared for that boat, and I'm glad to see that you're treating her as he would have.

While we're on the subject, I'm often struck by the way our best efforts have little value to others. I remember when we moved into our current house there was a set of shelves at the stairs that the P.O. had made. Now he wasn't a cabinetmaker by any stretch, but they looked and functioned pretty nicely. Then the admiral decided she wanted something different. It broke my heart to take a wrecking bar to them. Because I understood how much effort went into them.

I live in constant dread of two things that may happen after I'm gone. One is that my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, and the other is the reality that all the other things that I thought were important will go in a dumpster. Maybe that's why I'm so glad to hear that madhatter1 is taking such great care of Dave's pride and joy, and why it's so depressing when I hear about someone letting a well-loved piece turn to garbage.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

My wife, who is Cuban, her grandmothers name was Esperanza. Esperanza means hope. Then she growing up in Tampa knew “family” members of the family that took first delivery (by Dave from Hatteras). Dave knee the boat from day 1. I was still unsure of owning a large boat again but the wife was having none of that. She said there were too many signs that we should buy her so here we are. 99% of the tine everything is good but I did not enjoy pulling “tampoons” from the guest head accumulating tank😱😱!

Otherwise 👍👍👍👍👍
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I live in constant dread of two things that may happen after I'm gone. One is that my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, and the other is the reality that all the other things that I thought were important will go in a dumpster.
    Why fear it....

I have reached the point where stuff doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong, I love playing with my toys and buying things to make them better. But I am well aware that at the end of the line there's gonna be me, and the threads on my ass. If I'm lucky there will be another hand in mine.

The rest can go up in smoke. Now, then....whatever.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Nihilist
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Along with all the accumulated wisdom on this forum, you also get philosophy at no extra charge.

This breaks my hart. I own the sister boat to Outrageous. Fishtales. I was interested in that boat until I found mine in Panama City. I wanted an open bridge boat. Outrageous was enclosed.

These are a handful, and I spend a lot of time and money on the boat, she is going in for paint this fall. $$$$

It is hard to see a beautiful labor of love taken down to that level of disrepair. I know you loved that boat, as I love mine. You still give me advice when I post here, and it is greatly appreciated. Several people have reached out to me with questions on my 65, and I directed them to the listing on your old girl. Sad to hear her condition. These are awesome boats, hope someone brings her back, hard to describe the joy in fishing and cruising on mine.

As for Jack, I have reached out several times with no response. I was told he got out of boating. I still send a private message once in a while, hoping he eases back in one day.

Have a great weekend,
    Tim
    Fishtales 65C
    Open bridge

I would have never bought the 65 without this forum, it’s better then an owners manual for old Hatteras’s. Sarcasm, smart ass replies, all the BS it’s still the best site for Hatteras owners. I shared the site with the new owners but I guess they knew enough to destroy a boat and loose their money without any help.

I get bored a work at times and re-read old posts. I still read conversations between you and Jack regarding yours and his 65. Helped me with the purchase of mine. Both of you have and still help me.

Thanks.... Hope your stay a member....

Tim