Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Thank you HOF but you couldn’t save her!

Outboards on brackets
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Mount 3 of the seven marine engines on the side with the bad engine. Use the other as their twin?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Outboards on brackets
    I've actually seen that on the ICW in FLL.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    Add in all the while-you're-in-theres to a repower with C-32's or MTU's and add in everything else you would want to do to bring the boat back and you're looking at $500k-$700k easy.
    And it would still be slow and old fashioned compared to what that money can buy.
    You, of course, are absolutely correct from your standpoint. And wrong at the same time from others. There are absolutely valid reasons people spend 100-200K plus restoring Hemis, Stangs and Vettes that are then worth half of whatever they have in to it...... (Me, I'm a scion of Lucas, but the pain is the same) Then there's people that ride old Harleys that rattle their fillings like nobodies business.... There are MUCH more comfortable bikes out there.

All a matter of preference.

Bringing this boat back to life would not be an investment. But it would be a hell of a ride. And that is priceless.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 07-04-2020 at 11:47 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    You, of course, are absolutely correct from your standpoint. And wrong at the same time from others. There are absolutely valid reasons people spend 100-200K plus restoring Hemis, Stangs and Vettes that are then worth half of whatever they have in to it...... (Me, I'm a scion of Lucas, but the pain is the same) Then there's people that ride old Harleys that rattle their fillings like nobodies business.... There are MUCH more comfortable bikes out there.

All a matter of preference.

Bringing this boat back to life would not be an investment. But it would be a hell of a ride. And that is priceless.
    Bingo!
    I'm thinking about return on the dollar, or more accurately trying to lose less of it than absolutely unavoidable.
    Also, I guess all the new super fast boast on my dock have skewed my thinking.
    Let's face it, owning a yacht makes zero sense (no one "Needs" one) so if we accept that than spending whatever on any foolish project makes perfect sense.

Like my pristine Norton Commando for example. Hail to The Prince Of Darkness!!
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    Would you trust that repair hundreds of miles from the nearest port with your family on board?
    Besides, if it threw a rod out of the block the crank is almost certainly trash....

A nuclear power plant trusted it to do the same repair on one of the emergency backup generators that powers emergency reactor cooling. So yes, I would trust it, if done properly. But, I probably wouldn't trust the other engine to not blow up as well.....
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

To many tears on this thread to get caught up on everything.
    Is there a brokerage ad on her now?

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    A nuclear power plant trusted it to do the same repair on one of the emergency backup generators that powers emergency reactor cooling. So yes, I would trust it, if done properly. But, I probably wouldn't trust the other engine to not blow up as well.....
    Chernobyl?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Question Re: Thank you HOF but you couldn’t save her!

Quote Originally Posted by car54 View Post
    Price drop to 49k. Someone is getting more realistic.
    Link to an "updated" add? I couldn't find it.

Edit:
    Found it.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...tible-3648010/
    Last edited by JCG-PR; 07-06-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Pictures actually don’t look too bad......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay