Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Thank you HOF but you couldn’t save her!

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Mr Smith, the 65 in Lauderdale was listed at 250,000. If it passed a very conservative seatrial I could have gotten it back to lake ontario. My thought was around 100,000 for a complete rebuild. It had some small interior issues but nothing big. I really liked that it had stairs to the fly bridge from the salon.

Walt Hoover
    100k? I guess. It seems prices of everything are going nuts. I was in Lowe’s a couple months ago bought a piece of sheet metal duct for my moms house up north was $14 went back a week later to get another piece get to the register it’s $21. I went back to the bin to check sure enough went up 50% in a week.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

100k was an estimate in canadian. There may have been some money left at the end but when does that ever happen.

Walt Hoover

Is it possible to convert her to a single engine set up. Don't they make a bunch of single screw (40-50 ft) SF's in the NC area ? Obviously she wouldn't plane on the remaining engine but at least she could become a trawler/fisher/condo rather than scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    All I want is the stabilizers. Our old bones and old boat need a nicer ride.

The running engine when sold, will pay off the whole purchase.
    The remaining 2 clutches are pure profit (almost the cost of an engine each).
    Other than paying off storage, the rest is profit.

BTW, engine and clutch is 10000 Lbs. (5 US Tons). Who has a fork lift that can pick up 5 Tons on the tip end,,,, 25-30 feet away??

Anybody have a storage yard.

I have chain sawed enough boats. I have cried over some of them, probably will tear up on this one.

Anybody have a few credit cards collecting dust I could borrow? Maybe a blank check or two (or three)? We can fix her if you luv the ole gal, or make some bux and scrap her out.
    After looking at the prices for the mtu parts sadly you are probably right. She's worth more in pieces than as a whole.

I know of a couple of boat yards that have booms that attach to their travel lifts. Basically super heavy duty i beam or tube with a pulley on the end connected to a winch. The other end has ballast, either steel plates or concrete . The travel lift drives over the boat, boom enters salon opening, wench drops a shackle on top of the engine, hook up and yank her out. Using this method, instead of 25-30' of free boom you are shortening it to something more like 10'.

Being that the boat will be parted out, the bad engine can be parted out down below. Even the other running engine is probably worth more in parts than as a whole, so I'd consider pulling as much off of it as possible in-place. This will help lighten the load considerably.

Here are a couple pics of Saunders in Orange Beach, AL, they have one of the rigs I am talking about.

SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Nice rig!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Beautiful boat, too.

Instead of using my time for more appropriate things, I looked up "Mollie" to find out what kind of boat she was and who built her.

I had never heard of G&S Yachts in Destin, FL, prior to seeing this one. Evidently these boats were very good at attracting fish. Their building of them ended when one of the principals in the company died of cancer a few years ago. Their FB page shows their last boat under construction, with an interesting transom design, rather rounded in comparison to other boats I've seen. From what I've read, they were very good at backing down as well.

If anyone knows more about them and could point me in the direction of reading about them, I'd appreciate it.

I can't help you there Jim, but I can tell you that G+S boats are highly regarded in the big money Marlin tournament circuit.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

You're not kidding. I found out a few things by looking around on line:

-apparently they are consistent and big money winners esp in billfish and tuna tournaments

-at least some of them will plane in reverse. They back down FAST. I have never heard of a sportfisherman that will plane in reverse. I didn't know such a thing existed.

-"Mollie", the boat in the photos, had nearly a half-million dollar winning day recently. If I understood it correctly.

G & S is and has been well known and held in high regard amongst the Sportfishing Community for many years. Probably the most famous being the Hooker of Madam and Hooker mothership game boat operation in the 80’s/90’s pursuing light tackle records worldwide. Skip Smith was the Capt for Jerry Dunaway, wrote a book of their adventures and a few years ago bought Hooker, refurbished her and runs charters out of Golfito Costa Rica. Another great G & S was the Raptor a 40’ (Hooker is 48’) held the Blue Fin Tuna record for most caught in a single day set years ago. I have fished on both boats, they are indeed true sportfishers and great fishing platforms. Others are scattered about worldwide in noted fishing hot spots.