Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thank you HOF but you couldn’t save her!

In the spring of 2016 after 2 years on the market I sold my 65c. I had owned the boat for four years, rebuilt the starboard engine, replaced or upgraded all pumps, motors and anything else on the boat that needed attention. I spent weeks under the floors , months in the ER and a uncountable amount of time maintaining above deck. The boat was 28 years old, mostly original condition with all systems working. Although showing ware she was still in very good condition. I put over 400 hours cruising her and I was proud to own her. The boat surveyed with no addressable issues. When sold the surveyor wrote “ The captain/owner has more knowledge of his boat than any captain I have ever met. He knows every system on this vessel and how they work.”

The buyers were in their late 30s with not much boating experience. They had just recently began a relationship and were wanting to live together. The man was living aboard a 34 footer for a couple years and he had convinced her to sell her house and buy a bigger live aboard. She purchased the 65 for 195k putting 70k cash down and financing the rest. He was going to sell his 34 for 94k (haha) to refund her the down payment and also contribute to all other expenses.

I made it clear to both of them the responsibilities of owning a boat of this size, not only the maintenance requirements but also the integrity and commitment to operate the vessel. I agreed to keep in touch and help them anyway I could in the future.

Along with the new owners I delivered the boat to their marina. That’s when things went sideways. Upon arrival I found that one of the new owners had hidden bottles of vodka around the boat and been drinking without anyone’s knowledge. I offered to do a walk through of certain maintenance and was told “ no need, I got this”. Walking a way that day I knew I would have no relationship with the new owners and I would never see the 65 again. About 3 weeks later I received a text saying “ thanks asshole the anchor chain wasn’t connected to the rope and we lost the anchor “

I saw the 65 listed for sale last year and I watched as the price slowly came down. I received a call from a guy who found my number in a video from when I had her for sale. He was interested in buying her and looking for as much information as possible. He lived a thousand miles from the boat and was trying to make a more educated decision. I was happy to help in any way I could and after a few calls he decided to buy the boat contingent on a sea trial.

On the morning of the sea trial the potential buyer called and informed me that the boat was “not good”. He said they must of hit every pylon they had past, the interior was shit and smelled like it, the bilges were disgusting, every inch of the boat required some amount of work. He was reluctantly going on the sea trial and would call me afterwards.

The boat was listed for 250k and over a year had dropped to 145k. The potential buyer had offered 120k before the sea trial.

Boats of this size and age are extremely hard to sell and maybe even harder to maintain. They are not luxurious live aboards. You will not be the envy of your dock. You’ll spend more time and money working on it then you will running it. If you’re totally lucky your value won’t drop as fast as your energy. You need to be a special breed of person to justify owning a boat like this. You need to love the boat top to bottom and understand your not preserving your investment, you are preserving history. You will never recover the money you spent but you will also never get more self satisfaction on time spent working on her.

Owning my Hatteras was pure joy, it fulfilled a long time dream. I feel terrible for the women that bought it from me. Her boyfriend never sold his 34, they split up and she was stuck with huge bills and a boat that is very difficult to sell, and the worst was yet to come. 20 minutes after the potential buyer started his sea trial he called me back. He wasn’t buying the boat and they were on the way back to the marina. They were bringing the 65 up to speed and 12 minutes after leaving the dock, the engine blew throwing a rod through the block.

I’m heartbroken. I’m not sharing this story to demean or belittle anyone. I’m sharing this story as a warning.
    A warning to buyers that no matter how well something is built without love it won’t last.

A warning for sellers that one mans treasures is another mans trash.

And a warning for new lovers, don’t buy a boat together. What the hell is wrong with you? Are you stupid? Did you read the warning above to the buyer’s?

Re: Thank you HOF but you couldn’t save her!

Sad story. If I ever were to decide to sell mine, I would hope she would go far away and I would never see her again. I don't think I could bear watching the boat degrade from lack of maintenance.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Years ago I sold a 43' trawler I had owned for 10 years, spent 2 days with the new owner, sharing what I knew, about the boat. 3 years later the boat pulled into my home Marina. I went to say hello, I was met with a rude and grumpy "one of the batteries you sold me blew up. Right I realised I was happy to see the boat, not the new owner. So i jumped on board to see what happened. It turns out one of the two 8Ds connected to the inverter blew the top, almost all of it, off. The inverter still charging both batteries the on not damaged had a date on it , in my hand, now six years old. During the 2 days I spent with him, and his wife, I shared a my thoughts on battery replacement and the dates on the batteries.

The new owner asked me what I planned to do about it? I told him in in twenty minutes he could watch me bepart for Block Island.

It turned out I was happy to see the boat, just the boat.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Very sorry to hear about Outrageous. I also watched the price fall on yachtworld as I am looking at 65's. Another member here suggested I go look at it when he read that I was in the market and commented that it was always in tip top condition when you owned it but wasn't sure how it had been cared for after that.

A boat of that size needing repower will not sell very fast and may very well end up a derelict in a yard until someone with love for it gets it for free or it meets the crusher. A shame.

Walt Hoover

What a sad story. There isn't always a happy ending, although we always wish for one.

Years ago, I got restless and decided I needed a bigger Hatteras convertible. A 45 Series 2 would be fine, I thought. It would be faster than my 36C, with new engines, and roomier, etc. I could take more people with me when I went out. Etc Etc Etc

What stopped me from doing this was 1) friends telling me I was crazy 2) realizing that most of the time I only have a few folks on the boat, not a 45-convertible full of them 3) I would have to give up my perfect slip, which would not fit a 45C either for draft or beam 4) the huge expense of it all and....

...most of all, since I didn't need TWO boats, I would have to watch my beloved Blue Note drive away with someone else. Who might not take care of her as I have.

I didn't do it. I kept my boat, I bought other stuff and did other things instead. I've never been sorry. Sometimes the opportunity that you pass up is as important as the one you seize.

Chances are I'll die before my boat does; I'll do my best to provide for her when I'm gone. But for the degree of loyalty she's shown me, she deserves better than to go to a new owner while I'm around, and I pray I will never have to do that.

Speaking of 65’s what ever happened to Saltshaker Jack?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I think the learning curve is so long on these things that even if you are truly committed, it is quite an undertaking. That and ΔS, or everything turns to crap without the application of energy.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

If only we had a wonderful PO available to review things with!

I am afraid the owner who we bought the boat from only owned it for a year and didn't have any info on undocumented installs. Oh------ the questions and profound respect I would have to keep a dialog between owners. Also a great reminder to make new system maps for the work I am doing!

We don't hide vodka bottles, but we do offer beer for any help!
    Let me know if anyone knows the owner of the Lady Kathryn when it was based out of FL.

After some more work on the water tanks, I am de-greasing the engine and working on mount rust. Who's in?

Ok- I need to find a Highschool kid who is more flexible and perhaps 5'-4" and 140 pounds. Last week my 10 year old volunteers to clean the aft bilge with a steamer. Did ok. Fit in the hole just right.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Re: OP, the story really hit home with me. I've watched multiple sets of people reconsider living on the water over the years. Usually the result isn't positive, and many a marina have been left holding the bag.

Though Aslan isn't on the market, it will be someday. Hopefully that day is long off, but after a certain age I know that day could be tomorrow. I had a good couple of previous owners who left me in pretty good stead. Having a sound foundation makes my work with Aslan fun and fulfilling. Sharing my progress and learning from others' experiences on this forum has been a gift of unimaginable value.

There's no hope of recovering any sort of investment when she's sold. After all, I've always claimed Aslan was the best bad investment I ever made. But if I, as opposed to my estate, sell her, I sure hope she sails far, far away off in the sunset.

IMG_8303.jpg
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 06-11-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Although this is a sad story, I really appreciate you sharing it. Makes me reflect on all the time and money that we invest in these old boats and what to expect if sold in the future.

My family used to have an old Hatteras Sport Fish that I got to see a few times, after it sold, and I could see how it was no longer maintained to my dad's high standards. That was 30 years ago so I did not understand all that went into keeping these old boats in tip top shape.

Thanks for sharing.

JCG
    IMG-20190818-WA0012.jpg