Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Need 8 volt batteries HELP!!!!

I just got four deka 8V from royal battery in north jersey.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Call any local golf course and they should be able to steer youin the right direction. All carts use 8 volt batteries.
    Jeff Kotler
    Southern Cross
    '81 61' motor yacht

Quote Originally Posted by jpk55 View Post
    Call any local golf course and they should be able to steer youin the right direction. All carts use 8 volt batteries.
    Lots of Carts still use 6v batts. Positive thoughts but not quite correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jpk55 View Post
    Yeah and I went to West Marine looking for a new putter.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Did you use deep-cycle batteries on your start bank? What model number did you use?
    The Rolls 8HHG25PM are considered dual purpose. They are deep cycle but have plenty of CCA (1549)
    so work great for starting. They are what Hatteras originally used on these boats.

Go here for specs: https://www.rollsbattery.com/battery/8-hhg-25p/
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-11-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It was suggested to me that I consider re-wiring so that both engines start normally on the starboard batteries and use the port bank for house loads. I would keep the ability to parallel both banks when starting if needed. That would allow true deep cycle house batteries and true start batteries for short strong loads. Good idea?

I thought the 24” 819 was the OEM battery? I have a set of original fiberglass boxes in my starboard engine room and they look to be sized for a 24” battery. The current 8v/195s look small in there. I have a pair of Todd boxes on the port side where the Rolls will go and they will fit with about 1/8” to spare(I hope).
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Why rewire? Moving 4/0 wire to the other side of the boat is going to be a chore, a cost, and it will probably gain you nothing. The boat is set up with battery switches in logical places in each engine room. Don't mess with the Hatteras wiring. It was really good in that era. I would leave it as is.
    Sky Cheney

Greetings. We should all join an 8V support group!

Last year, one of my starboard batteries melted a terminal so I scrambled and found the last 8 DEKAs from Nationwide Battery. Unfortunately, the trucker (or someone in the warehouse) punctured 2 of the 8 and i had to go looking again. I found 2 batteries from 2 different sources (US Battery and an Ebay special) and paid dearly for both. This season, the Sentry charger is short cycling after the batteries are fully charged and there is a .5v disparity between the port and starboard banks. Sentry Charger (very helpful) sent me a new control board with factory set cut in and cut out pots. I replaced the board and now it's better but not normal. ME Yacht Restoration in Holland Michigan is sending a tech to troubleshoot the 32V systems next week, so hopefully the gremlin will be identified.

As for batteries, Rolls is probably my next option in 4 years, so if anyone has first hand experience with them, please let us know.

Cheers

If the charger is short cycling, I think you have a bad battery. Check each cell with a multi meter . This usually will show a problem cell. A hydrometer will give the best indication.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

If you want to have a 32v system where batteries last, buy a smart charger. The old Lamarch and Sentry chargers will not cut it. You have to do a multi-step charge and have the ability to do an equalization charge.

Analytic Systems makes a nice 32v smart charger.

Next, buy the best lead acid 8v batteries you can get. IMO, that is the Rolls. My experience is 9-11 years on a set of Rolls. My friend got 13 years out of his. Quit screwing around with those old chargers and your batteries will live a long life.
    Sky Cheney