Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Need 8 volt batteries HELP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you want to have a 32v system where batteries last, buy a smart charger. Quit screwing around with those old chargers and your batteries will live a long life.
    Very much agreed.

BUT, people get over excited with this plan. Install level charge regulators on the charging alternators.
    If you have cash to burn, you can do this for the very small duty cycle of a personal boat during operation. Balmar sells a great cash (and battery) burning regulator.
    The battery draw is constantly changing when the boat is in use. A multi level charging alternator regulator is constantly restarting or never in float mode. It's best kept the batteries in absorb or bulk charge at these times as normal for a non-smart (stupid-stock) alternator regulator.
    Every key of the radio, every flush re-starts the regulated alternator. Not good.
    But just sitting at the dock, where most chargers eat batteries up, those smart chargers float down the batteries and keep them fresh. It's the later smart charger that keeps any bank up and fit between any wild weekends.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 07-11-2020 at 10:46 PM.

JMooney was correct....Confirmed 1 of the new Precision Batteries was showing 6VDC and dragging down the bank. Now, I'm trying to get it covered under warranty (bought in March 2020) or looking for another source. Can we take 2020 as our collective Mulligans?

Cheers

Dyno Battery out of Seattle has the M15 8 volt batteries that fit the original Hatteras battery box. $380 per battery plus shipping on a skid. I ordered 8. They are the battery manufacturer. The local battery house here was asking $580 per battery plus shipping and the dimensions were not perfect
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Greetings,

I reached out to Royal in NJ and they don't think they can ship the battery wet. Also reached out to Dyno in Seattle, but no response yet. U.S Battery has something comparable but 24 3/8" long so i'm measuring the boxes tomorrow for fitment. I greatly appreciate being part of this "support group" for people who take pity on old Hatteras'. I will let you know how this goes. Rolls is also another option and I'm looking into a new charger as recommended.

Cheers

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by 56MYHATTERAS View Post
    Greetings,I reached out to Royal in NJ and they don't think they can ship the battery wet. Also reached out to Dyno in Seattle, but no response yet. U.S Battery has something comparable but 24 3/8" long so i'm measuring the boxes tomorrow for fitment. I greatly appreciate being part of this "support group" for people who take pity on old Hatteras'. I will let you know how this goes. Rolls is also another option and I'm looking into a new charger as recommended.CheersRich
    FWIW, I’ve never had an issue receiving flooded bats via common carriers.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I just replaced 6 out of my 8 with The deka 8V. They were longer and a bit heavier but fit perfectly in my boxes.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I just bought 4 Rolls 8v batteries from Pascoe in Maryland for $400 each. If you haven’t ordered elsewhere yet, I’d give them a call. There is a $40 per battery core charge also. The have Rolls 8v batteries in three lengths and two heights. Mine were 21” long to fit the replacement Todd battery boxes, but they also have 24” to fit the OEM fiberglass boxes. At $400 each they are essentially the same price as ordinary batteries, but have 30lbs more lead.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Wish I would have found them before I got my deka’s
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.