Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need 8 volt batteries HELP!!!!

Just like clock work my 8 volt engine starting batteries died. I have had the boat for 12 years and every 4 years they die. The problem is every place that used to sell them now says they are not available. These are the places that used to, but not anymore; Ziegler, Interstate Battery, Napa, Car Quest, Battries Plus.

If you have recently purchased them, please forward the contact info. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Rob Dengler
    58’ Yacht Fisherman
    Rob Dengler
    58' Hatteras Yacht Fisherman
    Stillwater, MN
    ROAMANIC

Re: Need 8 volt batteries HELP!!!!

My house bank died this week, so I need 4 8v/195 batteries too.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Just went through this drill my self this week.
    Seems like everything you said is true right now.
    They had the batteries built to order in there Georgia plant.
    These folks were great:

https://www.usbattery.com/products/8...es/13-4-1-xc2/

looks like there is a dealer in MN.
    Others around your state as well.

NORTHERN BATTERY- ST. PAUL
    1229 Pierce Butler RouteSt. Paul MN 55104United States(800) 657-5122
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

The Rolls 8hhg 21p is a group 981 battery with similar size and performance to the 8v/195 but is a bit heavier: 121lbs vs 90lbs. Pascoe Battery in MD has them in stock. They also have the Deka 819 of similar size and weight, but with Only 1/2 the MCA. The Rolls looks like the way to go since is is similar in size, but has greater MCA than the 8v/195. The 819 is $459 and the Rolls 8HHG 21P is $399, I called and they claim next day shipping on both.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Pascoe has 30 of the Rolls in stock in MD. Next day shipping with 3 to 4 days to Jacksonville. DC battery in Miami wanted $525 each with a 6 week lead time! Now I have to see if my Sentry charger will handle having the 8v/195 on the stb side and the 8hhg 21’s on the port..... I’d prefer to not have to replace 2018 stb side batteries if I can help it.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

The Rolls is a deep cycle battery better suited to use as a 32v house bank. Using it as a starting battery will impact its longevity so it won’t last the 8 to 10 years one would expect, but since its cheaper than the 8v/195 by $60 a battery, if it lasts only 4 to 5 years, I’m still coming out ahead. My engines start as soon as I touch the button and I am considering using the parallel switch as well to help out the port side when starting. When the stb batteries die eventually I may replace them with 819 start batteries which I have been told is what was specified by Hatteras originally. The fiberglass battery boxes are sized to fit the 24” long 819s and the 8v/195s are much shorter.

Any comments or suggestions?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

I got 10 years out of Rolls on the House/Inverter bank. I have 11 on them in my start bank. My dockmate got 13 years out of his last set of Rolls.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Did you use deep-cycle batteries on your start bank? What model number did you use?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

For some reason the Rolls and US batteries have a spade connection versus the traditional round posts. I would have to change my connections on the main cables, has anyone seen a field bolt on to cable bracket that can manually crimp to the cable and then bolt to the battery?
    Rob Dengler
    58' Hatteras Yacht Fisherman
    Stillwater, MN
    ROAMANIC

The auto posts are not the best way to attach to a battery. The bolt to or through a plate is superior and terminating battery cables with eyes is the norm.

I go through a lot of thomas and bettes 4/0 terminals.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index...33185214&co=US
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.