Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Dock Power Issues.

when did Hatteras start installing transformers?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    when did Hatteras start installing transformers?
    1978 for sure. Maybe before.

If you don't have transformers, you don't notice the 208 as much because without still you get 120 to all of your 120v loads. With the transformer, you get 104 and all of your lights are dim.

Here is the thread on converting your transformers to boost:

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...y+boost+switch
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-03-2020 at 09:44 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My 46 is 1982 and I can plug in 30A120V and (I have never done this and that's what it was doing at Capt Daves house when I looked at the boat) I can select power input and it makes 230. Many types of transformers out there. I guess I should try it and see for myself.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    My 46 is 1982 and I can plug in 30A120V and (I have never done this and that's what it was doing at Capt Daves house when I looked at the boat) I can select power input and it makes 230. Many types of transformers out there. I guess I should try it and see for myself.
    You can. I've done it on mine.
    Sky Cheney

My 1983 boat’s main electric panel is marked A.C. Switching Panel 240 Volt 50/60 Cycle. I have two 50/60 cycle switches, what they actually do is a mystery to me. The ac schematics in the “grey box” references wires to be switched for European electricity. The boat was in Europe for a short period. What is nice is that the iso transformers have taps to change the voltage. The electric panel has a rotary switch to change the voltage in steps of about 5 volts. This has been very useful.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    My 1983 boat’s main electric panel is marked A.C. Switching Panel 240 Volt 50/60 Cycle. I have two 50/60 cycle switches, what they actually do is a mystery to me. The ac schematics in the “grey box” references wires to be switched for European electricity. The boat was in Europe for a short period. What is nice is that the iso transformers have taps to change the voltage. The electric panel has a rotary switch to change the voltage in steps of about 5 volts. This has been very useful.
    European electric is 50hz, US is 60hz.
    Sky Cheney

The standard 230 volt 50 htz is not compatible with 240 volt 60 htz items.

It's a hot and neutral not a L1 and L2 with 180° phase. Also the 50 htz will run motors slower with less power and may burn them out.

Transformers will up voltage but cost amperage. Keep in mind the best solution is actually getting the right power at the pedestal.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    You would be amazed what options can run on 50 AND 60 htz. Look at you newer A/C compressors and blowers, min requirements are 200Vac @ 50 or 60 htz.

I have installed Bosch laundry systems, same stuff and works on both sides of the pond.

TVs, lots of stereo equipment and most clocks of course will not work. Not really because of the electricity requirements but the technology that part of the world uses.
    But soon, it all will.

Building different products all over the world, MFGs are making options to run on near any electric service in any part of the world. Makes things much simpler and cheaper to make one all in one product instead of the same box but different guts for the US, then EU, then Asia...

I can see these cycle switches to be an easy way to remember where your at to move the switches to mod the transformer down from 240 to 220Vac. Same freak.

Read post #2 @ https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...y+boost+switch
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 06-06-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Nearly all modern stuff you plug into the wall can run on anything from 100-250VAC 50-60HZ...especially if it is electronics with a switching power supply.

And many things with motors can run 50 or 60hz no problem, just different speeds...with slight wiring changes for differing voltages.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381