Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New windlass question.

Hi All,

I have a 1981 48' MY. I pulled out the galley Made windlass and want to replace it with a Maxwell RC 10-10. I think the windlass is big enough for what I need but will only handle 3/8 G4 chain and 5/8 line. (I was going to go with 8 plat.) To me 5/8 is right on the boarder line for my boat. I think 3/4 line may a better option but it means going up to at least a Maxwell RC12-10 and which is about $800.00 more for the RC10-10 EDC (thick Deck system)

What are you all using for windlass's and what size/type of anchor rode do you use?

Thanks.

Cheers,

....b

Re: New windlass question.

Why not just have the GM rebuilt? Its much heavier built than any of the new stuff. I had mine rebuilt 17 years ago and it runs as good as new. I run 3/8"HT chain, 200' plus another 300' of 3/4" rope rode if necessary. And the GalleyMaid also looks nicer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

58’ motoryacht, just switched to a Maxwell RC12-24 using 65’ of 1/2 bb and 330 feet of 3/4” 8plait straight from Maxwell. Got rid of the ordinal Ideal deck mount colossal nightmare. Mounted the Maxwell at the back edge of the pulpit. Haven’t used the Maxwell yet but it is what Hatteras has installed for the last 15+ years so I think I’ll be happy.
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

I am going to remove my perfectly working galley maid and replace with a Good Automatic windlass. Will need to run control wires to the bridge. Less pull is needed because you can bump up to the anchor and then it’s only pulling up chain and anchor weight. More than enough pull. Much easier anchoring. Fairly cheap, built like a brick shithouse, and super simple to service. Truck to anchoring with free fall is simple. Already be backing up when you drop. That way anchor kind of planes to the bottom before chain can foul.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Maxwell RC12-10 with capstan; #77 Ultra, 250’ 1/2” G40 and 325’ 3/4” three strand.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

My 53 came with 1/4” chain. Looks thin but it works.

I had the GM windlass rebuilt and converted to 24v during the repower. Glad I did. This thing is built like ... a Hatteras but a real American company not some crap from China...

Been dealing with issues on a pair of big Maxwells... what a crappy design. The chain stripper is attached to the pipe cover which is attached with bolts thru the plate. To replace the stripper you have to remove the whole darn windlass!!! Plain stupid.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I kind of think the Lofrans horzontal windlasses are the sexiest. https://www.lofrans.com/category/4-L...nchor-windlass

Automatic free fall: Models KOBRA and CAYMAN 88 can be optionally supported with the installation of a device named AUTOMATIC FREE FALL. This device allows the disengaging of the cluch, automatically, by pushing the ''Down'' button of the remote control unit. Disengaging the cluch, the Gypsy rotates freely and the weight of the anchor releases the chain into the water.

Once you've experienced auto free-fall, you'll never want to go back.

My boat came with a unique Swede windlass that works really well, but I don't like the strap deal: http://anchoring.se/english%20site/eng_default.html

Looks like Muir makes some nice equipement too.... https://www.muir.com.au/recreational

Last but not least (maybe not big enough, though) PowerWinch www.powerwinch.com
    Last edited by krush; 06-02-2020 at 10:27 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381