Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Pretty Much Loaded And Ready To Go... Again

I'm thinking the tachs are off. Any chance there's a phototach buried in the tool chest?

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    I'm thinking the tachs are off. Any chance there's a phototach buried in the tool chest?
    Nope, but if these tachs are off by 20%, it would certainly answer a lot of questions.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

If the surveyor used the dash tachs shame on him. I think the sound is a good clue and also the poor thrust at idle. It got small props.

I though the 53 had larger diameter props that 26. Is there a pic of the running gear? It should have the props in relation to the hull in a pic on the survey.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Nope, but if these tachs are off by 20%, it would certainly answer a lot of questions.
    Except in your videos the engines sound like their turning 1800. Guess you’ll find out when you run out of fuel in the middle of the lake.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Gauges on the tanks showed above 3/4 which would be about right from full for our run. Besides, being towed saves money.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

8V71Ns are rated at 2300. What kind of surveyor reported 3000rpm and didn’t raise the issue ????
    At the very least he should have known whether the tachs were good or not just by ear and should have recommended checking the tachs.

You can not trust the fuel gauges. The only way to be sure is to unscrew the gauges and stick the tanks. Critical on these boats is that the tank shapes will cause the gauge (and dip sticks) to read high. A few months ago I posted a picture of my calibrated dipstick for the forward tank on this thread :

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...ght=Stick+tank
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

With 600 gallons, I’m not too worried about running ~280 miles. We’ll top the tanks in the morning at Racine.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Unless we run out of fuel in the next 90 minutes, we’re good. Super flat conditions let the old gal pick up a little speed. Pics later.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

At the risk of telling you something you know..... Fluorescent lights actually strobe at 120 cycles per second. So with shore power, one of those fluorescent shop lights and a piece of white tape radially attached to the fly wheel 4 radial stripes, 90º apart, will appear at 1800 RPM........Not the most accurate thing, but it will tell you if you're waaaay off, and then set the engine to approximately 1800 rpm and read the tach.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/kmielen/C320Docs/Tach.htm

Last edited by oscarvan; 06-03-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

And as I'm Googling around on the subject I came across this....

In the Pro “Sled Pulls” for Pro-Semi Class, we turned the V12 (71 series) at 4,100 to 4,200 under full load for years, and never blew it up.
    Just another data point......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay