Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Replace dockside shorepower inlet panel

The ELCI breakers BOATSB refers to do a whole lot more than protect against exceeding allowable current. Does your marina have signs about ESD (Electric shock drowning) posted at the water front? If not I'm sure you've seen them elsewhere. ELCI's are now required by ABYC in new vessels.

It is an upgrade every prudent boat owner should consider.

There's a good read here: http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...50_002-web.pdf
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    The ELCI breakers BOATSB refers to do a whole lot more than protect against exceeding allowable current. Does your marina have signs about ESD (Electric shock drowning) posted at the water front? If not I'm sure you've seen them elsewhere. ELCI's are now required by ABYC in new vessels.

Mostly a freshwater problem I believe. But I had a friend when we were teens that got a job at the local boat yard pressure washing bottoms. He grabbed a prop to turn it and was stone cold dead before he hit the ground. Supposedly there was a polarity problem on the boat. Since then anytime I have my boat on the hard I connect a set of jumper cables to a suitable ground whenever the shore power is plugged in.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post

Most Hatts have isolation transformers so not an issue
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Would any of these issues happen with a circuit breaker?

I ll ask again... does Hatteras still uses fuses at the shorepower inlet ? Or any boat builde for that matter.
    The connections on the breaker could still get loose and cause higher resistance just the same as the fuse holder. I have personally seen this on the back of a Hatteras fuse holder. Same would apply.

The breaker would eliminate the connection on each end of the fuse, but the breaker had better be weatherproof or water/salt could still get into the breaker and you can't inspect the inside of the breaker (you can pull the fuse and inspect).

Also, in industrial applications fuses are used instead of breakers mostly in higher load applications like motor starters. If its preferred for industry, then I can't see a real downside in this application as long as you inspect/maintain them regularly.

A breaker is one choice and it may be more idiot proof, but don't fault the fuse holders when its the owner/operator that is not doing what they need to do to keep them working properly. That breaker may become a problem in 35 years too.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-01-2020 at 01:16 PM.
    Sky Cheney

Long weekend working on the boat.

So CMIIW, but isn't this effectively a fuse in series to the main circuit breaker panel in the salon (see pic)? IMG_20200601_100322.jpg

Rusty,
    I've got some extra caps if you want to replace them, can drop off or mail a couple your way. I got them sourced a while ago, with additional fuse holders (already replaced 4 because they were corroded beyond my comfort level. Other 8 are 'ok' for now.

The fuse holders were $$$.

Most builders install the breakers inside the boat accessible only from the inside. This is especially easy on larger boats with cable masters. No risk of corrosion.

Hatteras should have never installed those fuse holders and panels outside but installed fuses or breakers inside, with a small opening panel in the cabinetry.

Breakers are a lot more convenient than replacing fuses. Here in so fl where we need full AC and run a bunch of loads tripping the inlet breaker is common... can’t imagine replacing fuses everytime it happens
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yea, that makes sense.

So what I'm hearing is, I'm safe, have a breaker for the main shorepower regardless. But I should also look at relocating the fuses interior away from the elements if possible when redesigning the panel.

I would say breakers and fuses are both acceptable. Use what makes you feel comfortable. I don't have an issue maintaining my fuses, but I will admit that my use is a little different than some in that I am in fresh water and I usually run two 50amp cords so am never really getting near capacity on either of them. Most of these boats are still around 30-40 years later with the inlet fuses so they can't be that bad.
    Sky Cheney

Current ABYC standards call got an ELCI device. There is no ELCI fuse. All new boats are built to comply with the standards. That's what new boats dont have inlet fuses.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by edhsu82 View Post
    Long weekend working on the boat.

So CMIIW, but isn't this effectively a fuse in series to the main circuit breaker panel in the salon (see pic)? Attachment 40626

Rusty,
    I've got some extra caps if you want to replace them, can drop off or mail a couple your way. I got them sourced a while ago, with additional fuse holders (already replaced 4 because they were corroded beyond my comfort level. Other 8 are 'ok' for now.

The fuse holders were $$$.
    Great, I’m only looking for the clear plastic caps. The fuse holders are all in good shape. I replaced all the fuses and covered them in the electrical grease, then I put on new rubber ring gaskets. They work perfectly. How much do you want for the caps? How many do you have? My info is as follows:

Rusty Martindale
    171 Medio Ave
    Half Moon Bay Cal, 94019
    Cell 650-619-2308
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California