Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Replace dockside shorepower inlet panel

Has anyone tried to replace these shorepower inlet panels on their SFs?

Would like to get 2 as my boxes are fairly corroded. Fuses, inlets and conductors appear to be in serviceable condition still.

I could buy the originals, but I'd prefer something that is removable from the glass and serviceable as I may want to change out these conductors in the mid-term future.
    Attached Images

Re: Replace dockside shorepower inlet panel

The plugs are removable. You have to take the nuts off the inside to pull the plug housing out. I’d switch to stainless steel. Can I ask how long you have had the newer plastic covers on the fuse caps. I was thinking about switching mine out because they have turned yellow and have craz cracks. However if they only last one season I won’t bother.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Get rid of the damn fuses and install circuit breakers. Marinco (or Hubble) has them fitted inside a standard cover
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If your bringing in 125/250 volt you will need 3 pole breakers. I'd have a new panel made for your boat designed to what you want not dictated by the old stuff.

If there is a place inside withing a few feet of the inlet that you can put a box and proper breakers it would be best.

I install ELCI breakers in stand alone boxes for inlet breakers all the time.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Get rid of the damn fuses and install circuit breakers. Marinco (or Hubble) has them fitted inside a standard cover
    Yep. Get rid of those dam fuses.

What's wrong with the fuses? I've had them for 35 years and never an issue. Maybe blew one twice in the last 17 years. If you keep them lubed up with dielectric grease, they should never cause a problem. When a fuse blows, I can change it in a matter of a few minutes and get back inside in the air conditioning and finish my drink. When a breaker fails, I'm stuck until I can find a replacement and tear the whole panel apart. I think I'll keep my fuses.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

First off referring to getting a drink means a drinking problem. Second off it also means that.....Sorry, lost my train of thought. Can I get that drink now?? Anyway most older hardware is better off being restored rather than being replaced with todays substandard crap. Just my opinion.

Put a new SS swim platform boarding ladder on a week ago. It is rusting already!!!! Glad it is temporary.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

How many boats have had issues with these fuses ranging from failures and delays replacing the holders to fire. Some members here have had fires from these fuses

I ve had Inlet breakers on a number of boats I ve owned or run in the last 30 years, never had one fail. I ve had them tripped a number of times when using too much power but resetting was always a quick flick.

When I redid the electricals on my 53, I built an electrical panel just forward of the starboard pilothouse door but the stairs. I ve also moved the shore power inlet from the toe rail to the house side behind the panel. With the inlet just 6” from the panel I don’t need inlet protection, instead I can rely on the main breaker on the panel. If I had to have the inlet further away, there is no way I d be using fuses... does anybody really believes fuses are better than breakers?? If so... we d have fuses on Panels, not breakers

One more question... do you think Hatteras is using fuses on current production or Breakers ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The fuses and fuse holders are not what "caused" the fire. A fire was most likely caused by high resistance due to corrosion in the fuse holder or a loose terminal on the fuse holder or an improperly sized fuse. If maintained, they are no more likely to cause a fire than a breaker would be.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    caused by high resistance due to corrosion in the fuse holder or a loose terminal on the fuse holder or an improperly sized fuse.
    Would any of these issues happen with a circuit breaker?

I ll ask again... does Hatteras still uses fuses at the shorepower inlet ? Or any boat builde for that matter.
    Last edited by Pascal; 05-31-2020 at 10:55 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat