Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1987 41 Flybridge with cored bottom

Looking at this model but the cored bottom makes me nervous. Can anyone confirm my fears or put me at ease?Thanks.

Re: 1987 41 Flybridge with cored bottom

I wouldn’t. Unless the boat is a real great deal and you have a surveyor who s really familiar with core issues, it s a gamble. So many hatts without cored bottom, why bother?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Hatteras Yachts initially built this model with a cored bottom, and switched it to a solid bottom after they had had to repair/replace boats with cored bottoms. This should tell you something. They never, as far as I know, built a boat with a cored bottom again.

I have seen ONE brand of boat built with a cored bottom that I would trust- Hines-Farley Offshore Yachts. They were built in very small numbers in Bennett's Creek, VA, by Sonny Hines. They were fast, beautifully built, and fabulously expensive. Even used and decades old, they are still desirable. And they had cored bottoms; the idea may not be altogether bad, but the execution of it is frequently faulted.

Is this the model that rumor has it Hatteras bought them all they could back and buried them underwater in the Atlantic with all the molds for them? I remember the story, but I though it was an earlier year model. ????
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I have an '86. Hull #20. I put a transducer in a few years ago. Confirmed 1 3/8 inch solid glass. The hull side's are cored from the chine up.
    The one thing I can definitely tell you about this model if I were to buy one again, is unless you're getting a good deal or you want the reliability of 671's, only buy one with 692's. When all loaded up with 500 gallons of fuel and 150 gallons of water, it is definitely underpowered. 16.5kts avg. @2,100 35-40gph. Once the fuel tank is 2/3 or less it feels like a race car. I charter this boat for a living. I'm basically running around at 10 knots everywhere so fortunately speed is not a big deal for me. I keep the water tank at about 3/4's for ballast and I keep the fuel tank full all the time and I have no issues. If I were to do a recreational cruising trip where I was running somewhere for a few hours on plane, I would have the water at about 1/2 and I would call 400gal full .
    That all being said, I love my 6-71's. I can inframe overhaul in two days for 2K and no need to raise the engine. I have overheated them due to various reasons over the years and my starboard engine right now has well over 10,000 hours on it.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Hey everyone, thanks for the input. I will discuss with my surveyor but I think I know what he will say.Have a great week.