Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

ignition switch oddites

sometimes my port motor stalls out if idling through a no wake for extended periods. I assume I need a tune up But im sure it could be many things. Seems to run fine when moving good. 989 hours on that motor. Anyway when it does stall I try and restart it. But the key will only bring up power tachs etc so basically run position. When trying to start nothing happens. Fortunatley if i run down stairs open engine compartment i have backup ignition switches for each motor. That key fires engine right up. Further I noticed once started from engine room key. When its time to turn motor off it wont turn off from that ignition on bridge obviously unless it stalls. Is it safe to say its the keyed ignition switch? Or could it be a solenoid? Im new to the boat assume both keys up and down wire to same solenoid so that rules that out. 1967 34 Hat. Tks all.

Re: ignition switch oddites

What engine?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    What engine?
    What... aren’t you psychic??? Can’t you guess the engine type?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Which engine did you start first? I tend to start the port engine first, but not always.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Port engine. These are 454 crusader model 350s.

I start my starboard engine first every time.

Is it possible that you're trying to start it in gear after it stalls? There's a neutral safety switch that prevents cranking while in gear. Your backup ignition switch probably bypasses that.

For the not shutting off, a second ignition switch will keep the ignition powered up even after you shut off the main key.

Oh, and I always alternate which engine I start first to keep the hours even.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Tks for the response. Common sense has prevailed. It was in gear and the emergency test ignitions in engine room do not have a neutral safety.

Blind squirrel finds a nut. Film at 11:00.

Sometimes I get one right. Thanks for the follow-up.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375