Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Polishing aft windows in a 53 my

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Were those the Fuller Brush Portlights?
    The big Bomar portlights in the transom
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I took my transom portlights to a glass shop and had safety glass put in to replace the old plexiglass. They're nice and clear now and have been for the last 15 years.
    My transom port lights have only 1/8" thick plexiglass panels that are flush with the frame. My glass guy says he can't get safety glass that thin. How did you overcome that problem?
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

My prior owner sand blasted the windows for privacy. I need to replace them , glad to hear about the Lexan windows from Sam’s . But Sky’s solution sounds better.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I have a friend that works at tap plastic. I took the windows out and took them to his shop. Total cost $45 for two windows. I re-bed them in either Sicaflex 219 or 291, their fast set then and installed. What a difference it makes. It is so bright in the aft stateroom I had black out plastic covers made for the inside. The black outs just sit on the wing nuts. I thought I had photos but I must have deleted them. FYI the perfect corner radius is 2”.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamboat View Post
    My transom port lights have only 1/8" thick plexiglass panels that are flush with the frame. My glass guy says he can't get safety glass that thin. How did you overcome that problem?
    I don't know the answer to that. Maybe the glass is thicker than 1/8", but I don't know that for sure. I just took the pins out and left the portlights with the glass shop then picked them up when they had the new glass installed.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI