Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polishing aft windows in a 53 my

Kind of like headlight lens on a car. The ones in the master are really crazed.
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Re: Polishing aft windows in a 53 my

Maybe try using the headlight restorer, who knows it might work.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

I took my transom portlights to a glass shop and had safety glass put in to replace the old plexiglass. They're nice and clear now and have been for the last 15 years.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Try a line of products called Novus. They have different grades of scratch remover and a cleaner. They also sell a kit with buffing pads that can be used in an electric drill motor. It is fantastic stuff. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Novus is good stuff, but I think the crazing you probably have runs deep. Be surprised if anything will help much.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

you can try sanding them and spraying clear on them. that is what most headlight restorers do
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I took an orbital sander and a buffing pad and put three different courses of rubbing compound on the windows. They came out about 70% better than they were. I’m not 100% happy and I think I might go the route that Sky did and replace them with Glass. Most of the distortion was caused by the window screens rubbing up against the plastic windows. I might try 1000 grit and 1500 grit sandpaper prior to taking them out completely. That might do the trick and when I do it I will let you know.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I took an orbital sander and a buffing pad and put three different courses of rubbing compound on the windows. They came out about 70% better than they were. I’m not 100% happy and I think I might go the route that Sky did and replace them with Glass. Most of the distortion was caused by the window screens rubbing up against the plastic windows. I might try 1000 grit and 1500 grit sandpaper prior to taking them out completely. That might do the trick and when I do it I will let you know.
    I’ve had luck taking plexiglass down to 220 and out to 3000. You gotta go hard to get to good stock.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I took my transom portlights to a glass shop and had safety glass put in to replace the old plexiglass. They're nice and clear now and have been for the last 15 years.
    Were those the Fuller Brush Portlights?
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I bought new window replacement inserts already cut to size from Sam's.
    They are made from genuine GE LEXAN.
    Been in for five years now no cracks, discoloration, scratches or water marks.
    Looks like brand new glass.

Part number: S59462E

Fit perfect no sanding or trimming required.

Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia