Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Post Cork vs. Rubber Gasket in Perko Strainers

Hi All,

I have a 493 - 3/4" Perko water strainer (1990) for my AC. I am replacing the cork gaskets. I received the correct size gaskets but wrong material- rubber. My strainers have cork gaskets. I noticed the rubber gaskets fit perfectly....no leaks! I called Perko and was informed that even though the rubber gaskets fit, you MUST use the cork gaskets! Anyone have a clue as to why?

Thanks,
    Jim M.

1990 Hatteras Sportfish

Attached Images

Re: Cork vs. Rubber Gasket in Perko Strainers

Tell me. I’ve been replacing with rubber for years. Maybe it’s because Perko doesn’t sell rubber??
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Tell me. I’ve been replacing with rubber for years. Maybe it’s because Perko doesn’t sell rubber??
    That's exactly what my response would have been. When I purchased BEATs Therapy it had cork throughout but I have made my own rubber gaskets when they needed replaced and have had 0 problems. Have done the same with all my raw water connections around the pump.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Which ever you use (cork or rubber), coat it with Aladdin’s Magic Lube and you will never worry about replacing them again. I came across magic lube when my pool was built. Was going through o-rings every 6 month due to the chlorine drying out the rubber. A coat of Magic Lube and I never had an 0-ring issue again.

I started using on the boat about 5 years ago and I have not had to replace any more Perko gaskets. Also use it on a number of other items with good success. Extended the life of DD impellers. Also use it on the rubber impeller gasket and it has enabled me to reuse the gasket when replacing the impeller or checking for wear. I have been very impressed with how it protects.

You can buy it at any good pool store, HD/Lowes, Amazon, etc..
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Will magic lube prevent other things from shriveling up and shrinking from age?

Asking for a friend.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I make mine out of red silicone rubber sheet. Buy it at McMaster Carr.
    The silicone rubber never dries out no matter what, lightly grease the surfaces for easier removal later.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331