Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Belching Fuel During Fill-Up

I'm not sure if there was originally a check valve or something installed to prevent this, but whenever I top off my tanks, no matter how careful I try to be, I always wind up with about 2 tablespoons worth of fuel belching from my vents. Needless to say, by the third tank it is obvious to anyone within 100 feet that I'm clearly not in compliance with the mandatory Oil Discharge Placard prominently posted above my engine room hatch. Is there something that I can install to prevent this? Do I just not need to fill the tanks all the way? What is the common industry standard on this?
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

Re: Belching Fuel During Fill-Up

We added Racor "Lifeguards" in the vent lines, solved 99.8% of our issues. Sometimes using a super fast pump we might get just a tiny drip.

https://www.parker.com/literature/Ra..._-_RSL0184.pdf
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I roll up an oil diaper and tape it under the vent with masking tape. Cheap, easy and very effective.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to go with Life Guards since I can't reach my vents without going for a swim.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

I also installed Racor Lifeguards many years ago. They work perfectly to prevent fuel escaping the vent. But beware - when they shut off the vent air flow the fuel will volcano out of the fill pipe. If you listen closely you can hear at change in the sound at the fill pipe when the tank nears full. If you immediately
    shut the nozzle you'll be OK. If its noisy or you're hard of hearing you will make a much worse mess. I modified a mechanics stethoscope to use when filling. I put the tube from the ear pieces in the fill pipe with the nozzle so i can hear the change in sound.

they make some whistles you can put in the vent pipes. When they get fuel in them the whistling stops

or you can spray dawn all under your vents

Davis used to make a product called No-Spill. I made one out of a cocktail peanut plastic container with webbing straps and suction cups to hold it on. Look at this link for ideas: https://www.google.com/search?q=boat...Dho_EkJZHXNvIM

The Davis product was pretty good- I had one for years. There is now a better product which goes in the fill pipe opening. Seems to work well. Note that it does not cover the tank vent.

I like the fuel diaper and masking tape idea.

I thought this was just a thing we had to deal with... My center tank is especially sensitive. Anything over the slowest notch and she sharts fuel like it was mexican buffet and beer night.
    Attached Images
    1969 45C376

Back in the day running the canyons we’d fill the tanks until a steady stream came out the vent to make sure all the foam was out ant the tanks were really full
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present