Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Some Help

Need Some Help

Having an issue getting the arch and permanently attached mast off our boat to get up the Illinois River. Planned to stop in Seneca and try to use a crane to pluck it off. Problem is the sink/refrigerator housing is attached to part of the arch. I’m sure 5200 was used as it was recently removed and reattached for some soft floor repair. I’m sure there will be damage once the arch pulls free. The other option was to cut the arch for removal then have a hinge installed to reattach the arch. Figured this would be the most pleasant/less expensive way but Seneca does not have the ability to cut the aluminum. Any possible local suggestions? I’ve looked for local shops but wanted to check the brain trust here before I do dial a cutter. Thank you in advance.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Need Some Help

I am amazed at the use of 3M 5200 where a sealant would be fine. Get some DeBond Marine Formula and keep spraying the seam. Score the seam to let the debond enter the 5200 and wait 5 minutes. Keep repeating the scoring and spraying. Not cutting the arch will save you a lot of trouble and money later. That is unless you are a good fabricator. Good luck, you are on a great trip!
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I've never had any luck with Debond.

I cut my arch with a skill saw with a metal cutting blade. Anyone can do it. Measure it, draw a line and cut it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A picture would help. Skilsaw with a carbide blade will do the job or a Sawzall. Skilsaw is faster just don't let the cut bind the blade up.

A little bit of heat will soften 5200 for much easier removal.

And yes, a skillsaw with a carbide blade will cut right thru it, add a hinge later and you're good for whenever you need to lower it again.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    A picture would help. Skilsaw with a carbide blade will do the job or a Sawzall. Skilsaw is faster just don't let the cut bind the blade up.
    Skill saw will give a straight cut, sawzall will not.

Here is mine in when I did it.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...ght=hinge+arch
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Having an issue getting the arch and permanently attached mast off our boat to get up the Illinois River. Planned to stop in Seneca and try to use a crane to pluck it off. Problem is the sink/refrigerator housing is attached to part of the arch. I’m sure 5200 was used as it was recently removed and reattached for some soft floor repair. I’m sure there will be damage once the arch pulls free. The other option was to cut the arch for removal then have a hinge installed to reattach the arch. Figured this would be the most pleasant/less expensive way but Seneca does not have the ability to cut the aluminum. Any possible local suggestions? I’ve looked for local shops but wanted to check the brain trust here before I do dial a cutter. Thank you in advance.
    Probably could have hit Harbour Freight near Peru to grab cheap saws, blades and what not. Being on the river system losing Radar and whats up there's not the end of the world. Biggest would probably be pulling wires back enough to save on a lot of patch work.