Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 1971 53MY - 3400 oriiganl hours

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I just saw the boat and spoke to the new owner. He plans to join the forum soon, but he's been busy polishing. The boat is looking much better. He's doing a great job and the original paint is shining. I was really surprised.
    Bet that was heartwarming.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Years ago, I was in High Point at Slane's facility and they had an old 41 convertible in there, which had the original paint on it. I believe that was Imron. Tom showed me where they had washed and buffed out a section of it. It looked like a paint job that was a month or two old at most. I wonder if the boat near you has its original Imron finish. That stuff is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Years ago, I was in High Point at Slane's facility and they had an old 41 convertible in there, which had the original paint on it. I believe that was Imron. Tom showed me where they had washed and buffed out a section of it. It looked like a paint job that was a month or two old at most. I wonder if the boat near you has its original Imron finish. That stuff is amazing.
    I think it is original Petit polyurethane paint. Not sure what year they started using Imron but it was probably around 73
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I think it is original Petit polyurethane paint. Not sure what year they started using Imron but it was probably around 73
    Pettit polypoxy. And it lasted 2 years before it started to chalk.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Interesting. I would love to know what it's painted with, that lasted so long and is buffing out like that. I just assumed it was Imron, but sounds like I'm wrong.

I do remember the boat at Slane's because the rest of the boat looked so dingy, and then there was this square that they had washed and then buffed and it looked terrific.