Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Catastrophic davit crane failure

My Marquipt davit crane failed today. The stand pipe came off of its foundation, snapped in two and ripped out from the fly bridge fiberglass. I was lowering my novurania davit in still waters. My boat had 1/4 tank of fuel so I’m guessing it was max at 700 pounds. The davit is rated for at least 1000 pounds Anybody have a used hydraulic one for sale? Mine is electric and I’m not going to repair it
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Re: Catastrophic davit crane failure

New Davits ain't cheap but theres some nice ones out there. Marquipt quoted me about $25k for a davit then sold it direct to my customer for '$17k. I'll never bring them to a customer again.

I like the transom lift and platform lifts from freedom lift and sea lift. May not get the boat to the top deck but they seem more likely to be used in rough seas.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wow sorry to hear that. Why do you think it failed? Where was your tender when it broke. Very weird place for it to break right? Maybe I’m just not seeing it with the pictures.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

The tinder was being lowered in the water , it was about halfway down when the pipe snapped
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Maybe you could just sleeve the pipe inside with another thicker walled pipe and put it all back together.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I’d bet it was but welded there should have had a backing sleeve. That’s just the stand pipe. I’d fix it
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

7. Re: Catastrophic davit crane failure

The standpipe should be multiple ply on a 1000 LB. davit installation.
    Last edited by kelpy; 05-26-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Do you know what caused it to come off its base, is there some kind of fastener keeps it in place? It's looks like the mast failure was secondary to coming off the base. It's is definitely repairable.

Walt Hoover

"The davit is rated for at least 1000 pounds", based on what?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Are you sure the stand pipe came off it’s base on the lower deck first ? I don’t see how that can happen with the amount of weight. Either the stand pipe broke first or the fiberglass in the roof failed because of core rot allowing the plate to shift.

Hard to see in the pictures

The best guys for hydraulic Davits is QuickLift in Miami. Their Davits and well engineered and they provide great support. Still not cheap... I ve had terrible experience with Nautical Structure customer service...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat