Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Proud owner of a new Hat (new to me!) Have a few questions

Thanks for the info Jim Rosenthal. I will be spending sometime today researching water heater options. Take care!

I killed my square SS water heater in my 34 but it didn't go down easy. Put up a hell of a fight. Seriously after a lot of abuse (ran out of water) I bet I could throw a new element in there and be good. But the way the boat is used the heat from the engine loop gives hot water whenever we want.

I reccoment replacing the water heater, putting in something to sanitize tanks, and then use onboard tanks as much as possible to keep it all fresh. We only use onboard water for cleaning and showers, bottled for drinking and cooking.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

My boat has a round water heater. You can take an ohm meter and see if element is good. If it has continuity it most likely is. As stated above also check voltage at the element. If it has a thermostat that could be bad if element is not getting power. I replaced the element on my original 1985 water heater and its been going for 2 years. I personally would do that over replacing mine as you have to remove the CO2 cylinder for the fire suppression on mine to get it out

Welcome aboard!
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Water heating elements are fairly generic. Most use the same fitting size. Get it out and match wattage and voltage
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Smile Re: Proud owner of a new Hat (new to me!) Have a few questions

Welcome Aboard, I just purchased a new Kuma 11 gal. aluminum. The old Atwood lasted over 30 years. If my tank wasn't leaking, I would have just put in an element. Seward makes a stainless model that probably would last longer for a couple hundred more. Good Luck,Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    Thanks SEVEN. Our water heater is the round type that lays horizontal to the side of the port engine.
    Altho a bit older my 31C the manual says it came with a Coates M-6 that appears to have been a round unit on it's side, Holding tank is there now. At some point a PO had a round stand up unit further back. I'm weighing options as to what new ones might fit where, main plan is with a heat exchanger. I'm sure I have less space to work with, I'll be making mock up boxes to play with getting one in and placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat43c1981 View Post
    Thanks for the info Jim Rosenthal. I will be spending sometime today researching water heater options. Take care!
    That is a task in itself they say bigger is better, but making it fit a bit trickier. Only have a 31C it's all I really need, finding stuff that fit's can be fun.