Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Generator ventilation

Do you have or is there an requirement for a bloweron the 53 motoryatch. If so what do you use
    CRAZZZY-NUFFF (see ya) Just-do-it--enjoy life

Re: Generator ventilation

Theres no requirement for ventilation on a diesel vessel but it will keep the room cooler if your running the generator.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have a 120vac blower in my engine room on a timer. After I shut them down, I set it for an hour to get some of the heat out of the engine area. You would need two, and two timers if you decide to go that way. It does pull a fair amount of waste heat out after shutdown.

My 53 has a 32v vent fan in the generator room and one in each engine room. I think they all came that way originally. The switch is next to the stairs going down to the galley.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I've never seen much point in running blowers when engines are running. The engines suck in plenty of cool air and keep the space temp down. It's after shutdown that things start heating up and the blowers are needed.

Even a small generator is sucking quite a bit of fresh air into the space.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

My 63 has a 32v blower. It's good for reducing temp and exhausting that hot, oil lubricated machinery smell.

On a boat with a typical ER that include the generator there is no point in running blowers underway as the engine draw a lot of air thru the ER. After a run though it helps keeping things cool. The 84 footer I run as a temp sensor and even coming at idle, the alarm set at 120 will sound in summer if the blowers are on low speed. Increasing blower speed cools things down very quickly.

On the split ERa hatt with separate genny room, a good blower will help quite a bit. The boats came with 32v blowers but upgrading to larger AC blowers is even better.

This is even more important when you have electronics in the ER like battery chargers, Air con control boards, electronic water pumps etc
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My survivor told me to remove the blower hose that hung down to the bottom of the bilge. He said you have remove the heat. Heat rises and the hose was only pulling cool air out. Thoughts?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It depends on where the blower is located. If the blower is close to the vents, without the hose it will pull air that just got into the ER. If it pulls air from a hose down low it will cause more circulation.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Air in to the the bottom. Air out from the top to remove heat.

Remember too much air out will mess up the fuel air mixture.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.