Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Clamps and hoses

I'm in the middle of changing hose gear clamps to t bolt. Some places do not have enough space for two t bolt clamps. Is it allowable to use a gear clamp as a second clamp? Also what is the preferred hose to use for air conditioner water lines, above and below the water line?

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Re: Clamps and hoses

The idea of two clamps is insurance, just in case one fails. The bolt type, T clamps I am guessing, you should be careful there is a lot of leverage available to crunch or crack something while tightening.

Just my $.02
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    I'm in the middle of changing hose gear clamps to t bolt. Some places do not have enough space for two t bolt clamps. Is it allowable to use a gear clamp as a second clamp? Also what is the preferred hose to use for air conditioner water lines, above and below the water line?

Thanks
    Walt Hoover
    Mr. Hoover,

I think you back up the t-bolt with any quality clamp without penalty. As I recall, my hose shop carries some that are, more or less, the same width as gear clamps.

I use wet exhaust hose (most often with wire) for all underwater applications. It can be a little harder to work with, but the peace of mind (as you say) is worth it. I use the reinforced clear above the waterline for the HVAC condensers. I don't leave my units on when I leave the boat for home. I know someone who does, or did, and one of his lines blew giving the ER a weeks' long saltwater rinse job. What I don't know is what blew; he doesn't like to bring up the subject. Probably a clamp rusted thru as the pressure is negligible. Even though the above the waterline lines are ...well...above the waterline, I double clamp. Cheap insurance. It's amazing how inexpensively good clamps can had an industrial supply house.

Can't avoid gilding the lilly and advising to coat all clamps everywhere with a protective film. Clamps seem to last forever when protected from salt.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I only have t-bolt clamps on the exhaust system and intake pipe hoses. I think using a good grade of clamp (ABA) and double clamping is sufficient on most hoses. I use a solid white air conditioning hose on all the a/c units. I also never leave a/c on when we leave the boat. I work to keep the bilges dry ,so there is not a smell in the boat when we return. I did have a bronze ac pump develop a hole one day , this filled the pump compartment with water ( drains were clogged) and ruined both pumps . This was just after we bought the boat. I learned about cleaning clogged drains. I also got March pumps, magnetic drives (no seals to fail) nylon housings ,and ceramic impellers. Both have been running since 2003 and here in Miami they run a lot. Also keep checking the T-bolt clamps are on the exhaust , they seem to loosen. I use Trident wire reinforced hoses below the water line.
    Last edited by jmooney; 05-05-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

T Clamps are a must on large exhaust hoses but for anything else quality solid band gear clamps are fine. They don’t fail like perforated clamps.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Also keep checking the T-bolt clamps are on the exhaust , they seem to loosen. I use Trident wire reinforced hoses below the water line.
    Possible they are loosening. Also possible you are compressing the fiberglass tubes. In my experience, once you get a good seal on those they tend to stay stuck.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If using T clamps on fiberglass exhaust pipes you really need SS sleeves inside the glass tubes.

When I redid my exhausts during the repower, we installed sleeves at every hose to fiberglass connection. Not cheap but no worries. I also had it done on the boat i run after the cat technician cracked the fiberglass replacing the 14” silicon hose between the risers and the fiberglass.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Silicon hose is best with smooth clamps. I buy AWAB clamps all the time.

They have a swedish made 316 that's top of the line.

T bolt clamps often are over tightened. That's why crush sleeves are needed.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks for the ideas. There will be crush sleeves going in the exhaust, I noticed the starboard tube looked out of shape when I took the hose off. I see I will be ordering a bunch of the white air conditioner hose for that job.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Good thinking on the over tightening, one of my tubes has been over tighten, it leaks slightly. I plan to replace the tube and put sleeves in the end of the tube. Does anyone know if I can just install the sleeves? Would this be water tight?
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL