Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Lewmar windlass?

I have a lewmar pro series horizontal windlass. I noticed when trying to use it the anchor was wedged between the rubber pulley and wooden pulpit where it sits. Couldnt move it with a sledge hammer. Not that i tried with a sledge hammer but you get the point. . So i unbolted the pulley freed the anchor. Let the windlass down some. Re installed pulley. Fixed and tested operation. Or so i thought? Next day went for a cruise. Attempted to drop anchor. When pulling the knob at the helm to bring power to my rocker switch. Nothing! No red light no movement. And as im learning quickly the more one uses a boat the more they break. And typically at the worst times. So my guess is there is a fuse and or breaker. I checked all my breakers and do not see anything labeled windlass. They are all labeled however for everything else. Short of tracing the wires is there a spot i should look where there may be a fuse? Or is it definitley wired to a breaker and just not marked. No breakers appear tripped and everything else is functioning as it should. Seems as if a windlass would not need a breaker or 110 anyway. My guess is a fuse tripped or it needs resetting? 1964 34 hatteras

Re: Lewmar windlass?

Those windlasses are p.o.s. Buy a "Good" and save yourself alot of aggravation.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Most windlasses have a breaker that is a high amperage breaker and they can be located anywhere. Check in your forward cabin or even in the engine room. It won’t look like a panel breaker, it is usually a flush mount breaker. Good luck, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

The Lewmar Pro series generally have an integrated circuit breaker in the control switch, or at least the models we sell in Australia do. The heavy cable to the winch / solenoid will have a breaker on it, unless the switch has been replaced by something non factory during installation.

Unfortunately the internal gears/bearings on the Profish are quite weak and often need to be replaced . Its possible you have damaged /seized them when the anchor got stuck. Try removing the gypsy and seeing if you can give the shaft a tap with a brass hammer. You could also try connecting battery directly to 12 volt battery and see if mechanisms are free.

Lewmar UK has been closed for two months. We are quoting November now for stocked items. Look at Muir or Vetus/Maxwell if you replace.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

The main breaker supply power to the windlass motor could be anywhere between the batteries and the windlass. Depends on the installer. It is often near the relays either in the anchor locker or the forward cabin.

Maxwell are good although on some of them you need to remove the entire windlass to replace the chain stripper as the bolts holding the hawsepipe are below the windlass base. Stupid design
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The main breaker supply power to the windlass motor could be anywhere between the batteries and the windlass. Depends on the installer. It is often near the relays either in the anchor locker or the forward cabin.

Maxwell are good although on some of them you need to remove the entire windlass to replace the chain stripper as the bolts holding the hawsepipe are below the windlass base. Stupid design
    Actually the breaker should be close to batteries or the source of the power so that the cable run is protected Solenoids close to windless. If there are no clicks or groans out of it most likely no power.

Maxwell? Its a Newmar
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

It should be but it rarely is. Hatteras for instance used a battery switch near the batteries in the genset room but installed the breaker in the anchor locker with the solenoids. I ve seen similar set up on many boats

Idea is that if the breaker trips it can be quickly reset but opening the anchor locker hatch
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It should be but it rarely is. Hatteras for instance used a battery switch near the batteries in the genset room but installed the breaker in the anchor locker with the solenoids. I ve seen similar set up on many boats

Idea is that if the breaker trips it can be quickly reset but opening the anchor locker hatch
    The later boats had a main fuse in the aluminum box in the engine room. There was also a breaker in the control box in the anchor locker but that just protected the control power to the relays, not the main power to the motor. The motor power was protected by the fuse in the ER.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI