Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Cutlass bearing or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    Sometimes the keys will be loose enough to slide up and down the coupling’s keyway. The main thing that you want to check is where the shaft is running in the shaft log. The engine will usually settle on the reduction gear end causing the shaft to rub on the bottom of the shaft log. Not sure if your diver was able to check that with the boat in the water. If you have the coupling in-bolted you can pull up on the shaft to try to tell were the shaft is running in the log. Much easier to check when the boat is hauled out but, I don’t know what the capabilities are where the boat is located. Once you get above an 1 1/2 shaft it’s pretty hard to get the shaft to move much with the weight of the shaft and the thickness of the hose on the shaft log.
    Didn’t think to ask the diver where the shaft is in relation to the shaft log. I’ve just hopped off the boat to beat the thunderstorms into the house, so I’ll try to eyeball it from inside the boat later today or tomorrow. Coupling bolts are soaked in Kroil, and I’ll try to get them off tomorrow. Naturally they’re inaccessible from the inboard side on the port engine. If I have to take the battery boxes out, I’ll be unhappy. Any reason the coupling is assembled with the bolt heads aft instead of the nuts? The bolt heads jam right against the body of the coupling, so no impact wrench joy.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Depending on the gear the bolts may be too long to go in the coupling from the front. I had some impact sockets that made a trip to the bench grinder until they would fit. To keep from cracking them I’d use a break-over bar. I think they are 15/16’s but it’s been quite a few years since I had to do it for a job. It’s a suck job or sure. You should learn some new cuss words.

Took the boat out today with a buddy. Ran up and down the harbor, fast, slow and in between, straight and in circles, forward and reverse. We alternated between the helm and observing in the engine room. And saw very little. The port stuffing box clearly vibrates, but it’s not extreme. The starboard stuffing box vibrates too, although a little less. There is no perceptible flexing or vibration at the shaft log hose. Both stuffing boxes were cool, adjusted one to drip a little more, the other a little less. No humming, singing or squawking from the stuffing box, shaft or transmission. We happened across the harbor pumpout boat. We stopped for a pumpout so we could say we accomplished something. Have decided to go back where I was when this started - pack up the Admiral and some baloney sandwiches and head out for a few days. When I get back, I’ll check with my dive service to see if they have a diver/mechanic who can do a knowledgeable assessment of the cutlass bearings in the water. Thanks for all the suggestions. If I eventually find something, I’ll post it here.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Good luck.
    Thanks...at least we’ve got a fresh pumpout.

Do you have spurs? When the bearings wear out the blades wear into each other. They get to a point that you swear you wrapped something in the wheel or you're having mechanical running gear issues. I have "shaft sharks" now. No moving parts. So far so good.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Quote Originally Posted by 86Hat41 View Post
    Do you have spurs? When the bearings wear out the blades wear into each other. They get to a point that you swear you wrapped something in the wheel or you're having mechanical running gear issues. I have "shaft sharks" now. No moving parts. So far so good.
    Good thought, but I have shaft sharks too...hopefully no moving parts. We’ve put a few more miles on the boat since last post, no issues.