Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Cruising and cooking

Sacrilege.

Never over medium. Please ban this steak abuser.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Sacrilege.

Never over medium. Please ban this steak abuser.
    Think you meant medium rare is max! And always done over real wood charcoal. A cut that deserves respect.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

We have been cooking on the dock with a pellet smoker. Makes amazing tasting chicken/Ribs/pulled pork and still trying to figure out the rest.

I'm still trying to convince the admiral to let me put it on the back deck. I love the idea of anchoring out and grilling. I guess after the last BBQ went overboard in a big wake toss on the last boat she doesn't trust my grill mounting skills. Or maybe it would be to Ghetto. It's only 5 feet long, would fit right were the couch is. I don't see the problem.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

I ve been using a Ninja Grill for a few months now, first on the 116 and now on our 53.

Ninja FG551 Foodi Smart XL 6-in-1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089TQ82WT...p_mob_ap_share

This thing is truly amazing and perfect for the boat. It s both a grill and air fryer and it does both very well. Last night I did some filet mignon using the probe, set it to medium and they came up perfectly cooked with a nice sear.

I ve done a lot of things in it from Bacon to home made fries. Even toasting bread….
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

For you guys using sous vide for steaks. Are you finishing them on the grill? I received one of these devices at Christmas, but haven't used it yet. Still obtaining those perfect grill marks on top and bottom, with medium/rare centers the old fashion way.

Funny you should ask. There was a post about checking a temperature sensor on this site. Somebody suggested a sou vide to check it’s accuracy. So I Googled to find out what it was and bam, won’t do a steak without it. We do any size filet at 129 degrees for at least 1.5 hours then 1 minute or so each side on as hot of a grill as possible. Rare side of medium. We set it up before we go out for the day or while underway then enjoy a quickly cooked professional meal at the dock to top the day off!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks for the "searing" info. We will do a couple of steaks tonight using this method. 1st time using our new machine and looking forward to it!

How’d the steaks turn out?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I ve been using a Ninja Grill for a few months now, first on the 116 and now on our 53.

Ninja FG551 Foodi Smart XL 6-in-1... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089TQ82WT...p_mob_ap_share

This thing is truly amazing and perfect for the boat. It s both a grill and air fryer and it does both very well. Last night I did some filet mignon using the probe, set it to medium and they came up perfectly cooked with a nice sear.

I ve done a lot of things in it from Bacon to home made fries. Even toasting bread….
    We have used this same Ninja grill at home in the winter months. Excellent steak, and it didn't make a bunch of smoke, I think it has a smoke filter built into it!
    Did some burgers on the boat too, worked great!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

The steaks turned out excellent. Let them SV for about 75 minutes, while I sautéed some onions. I didn't add anything to the vacuum bag, just the filets. When they were done, cut the bag open and sprinkled kosher salt on top and bottom.

Seared in a small, "smoking hot" cast iron skillet with vegetable oil, thyme and butter for about 1 min each side, then flipped them on their sides to sear the sizes as well.

Came out perfect. Wife says, best she's had and she even ate them medium rare (she normally wants me to ruin her steak and cook to medium well).

We'll definitely use this method again and look forward to trying some other items as well.
    Last edited by zigzag930; 08-04-2022 at 04:34 PM.