Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cruising and cooking

For those that do cruise for extended time,how much cooking do you do ,or when you tie up or anchor out do you generally go ashore for meals? Thanks , Edward

Re: Cruising and cooking

We spend a lot of time in the Bahamas and rarely eat ashore. We do better food than most restaurants
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We cook all the time on the move. Either on the grill or on the stove or in the instapot or rice cooker.

While it's great to have some pre-made easy meals available for when you need food in a pinch, cooking underway is not a big deal.

If it's rough, it's a good idea for the capt to turn downsea while the cook is cooking to make things easier.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Generally do my own thing. Better quality control and excellent service.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We lived aboard in the Abacos 7 Winters and cooked aboard all of the time. Baked bread, made pizzas, roasted turkeys (albeit smaller than most), deep fried. The whole deal. Would not have done it any other way.
    But get a pizza stone, cast iron skillets and a cast iron grill pan like Emirill's. A butane hot plate on the aft deck with the cast iron pans and butane is fab and clean up easy.
    Regards
    Dan

A little of both. Love to cook but also love to enjoy the local fare. Sometimes lunch is as simple as this, dogs with NO KETSUP on the Mobile river.
    Attached Images
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

We cook a lot on the boat. Sometimes as simple as microwave lunches all the way up to filet mignon seared in pan and ahi tuna. All is dependent on how much time we want to spend cooking. On the hook we do a lot more just because we have the time with no distractions. Other times we keep it simple to heat, eat, and go. It is a lot of fun.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Very similar to madhatter.
    My wife cooks because she enjoys it. Jacket potatoes, rice dishes etc done in the microwave, inverter, before we arrive. Propane stove at anchor because my wife prefers cooking on gas and the peacfulness of no generator or if we are making water or charging batteries using the genny an induction hotplate.
    We cruise in the US and Bahamas a couple of weeks to a couple of months at a time. Eat in or out as we desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    A little of both. Love to cook but also love to enjoy the local fare. Sometimes lunch is as simple as this, dogs with NO KETSUP on the Mobile river.
    WTH is KETSUP?

It’s either catsup or ketchup, and as I showed you, it’s perfectly acceptable on tube steak along with mayo.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Before I owned my Hatteras, I sat on the dock everyday and dreamed about cooking on my boat. I'd watch other boats cruise by, girls in bikinis waving to me, the capt with a big grin. I'd wonder, "I wonder what they have planned for their menu tonight."

I'd page through Boating magazine and analyze the galley on each boat. I came to this website and looked at all the old brochures. Sure, the Hatt was nice and built well, but man, cooking on one is my priority. Detroits vs Cummins? Who cares, as long as my crock-pot works...unless it was a sandwich day.

Yes, I'm glad I found this Hatteras Owners Forum. It is full of so much technical and historic knowledge. It allowed me to dream my dream...cooking aboard a Hatt.

.....said nobody ever
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381