Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Cruising and cooking

First Mahi (or two if they're chickens) gets cut up immediately and chopped for ceviche!! All the other ceviche goodies are usually prepped and in bags in the freezer, just add the fish and the limes. Mix it up and toss it in the fridge for a bit. Makes great dip with corn chip scoops or tortilla scoop chips!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Real bagels are kettled, then baked, IIRC. They don't taste like anything else. Finding a genuine bagel on the ICW would not be easy, but there's a place in Annapolis that makes real bagels. Which, if you ever show up here, Bird, I'll be happy to take you to visit.

Tonight its chili reheated on my Chinese butane stove. DSC_2959.jpg
    Last edited by car54; 05-24-2020 at 10:12 PM.
    1969 45C376

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Real bagels are kettled, then baked, IIRC. They don't taste like anything else. Finding a genuine bagel on the ICW would not be easy, but there's a place in Annapolis that makes real bagels. Which, if you ever show up here, Bird, I'll be happy to take you to visit.
    So, we’ve gone from an AYCE lobster and filet dinner to a bagel?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

If you're lucky. What took you so long on that one? You're slowing down in your old age, Bird. Dinner is still on me. I have added the bagel, not subtracted the steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Damn auto correct... Sous Vide Cooker

https://www.amazon.com/Wancle-Immers.../dp/B07BKSH4KY
    Dude, I don't know how to thank you to turn me on to this. Frankly I'm surprised it has eluded me all those years.....

Her words: "Best steak ever"..... 1-1/2", had it at 160º +/- 0.2 for one hour. It was perfect, and perfectly homogenous. The fact that the timing is no longer an issue makes is even better.....

30 years I've been trying to consistently cook the perfect "medium well on the well side" steak.

It's the little things that make me happy.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

No such thing as a perfect medium well steak.

Anything beyond medium rare is sacrilegious.

I taught my wife to enjoy steaks properly. Too many times a steak is rare but not properly cooked. It's in the process and also the quality of the beef. She started with medium well and I showed her how it's not how much red you take out. It's how you gently cook the whole thing to proper temperature then rest accordingly.

Cheap beef is always tough and flavorless compared to good beef.

Well marbled, aged and properly cooked beef can be warm pink and melt in your mouth.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Dude, I don't know how to thank you to turn me on to this. Frankly I'm surprised it has eluded me all those years.....

Her words: "Best steak ever"..... 1-1/2", had it at 160º +/- 0.2 for one hour. It was perfect, and perfectly homogenous. The fact that the timing is no longer an issue makes is even better.....

30 years I've been trying to consistently cook the perfect "medium well on the well side" steak.

It's the little things that make me happy.
    It’s the deal. Fish is incredible and chicken is tender and juicy. Makes perfect ribs also. Can’t beat it. I’ve got 3 of them
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Oscarvan - glad to hear you are enjoying. I was a serious skeptic on the Sous Vide Cooker my first go around...but now enjoy the KISS theory of life and was amazed at how tasty and tender everything comes out. The simplicity of it all...it GENIUS!!!!
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Do you have any grey poupon?
    Sometimes I have grey poupon, but it depends on what I ate the night before, and how bad the boat rocks!
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 05-27-2020 at 03:16 PM.