Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Mystery leak in transom!

Ok, so I've been dealing with this leak since I've acquired my 65' 1989 sportfisher in 2016.
    I've finally addressed all other weaker areas, potential culprits (deck leak, dockside water, unused thru-holes, packing glands, shaft stuffing box, and some other things I'm sure I forget) and still get water coming into the starboard aft engine bilge.

To chase this and stay sane, I've dried multiple times, the bilges, traced the limber holes where water could be coming from, and have come up with a strong hypothesis.

I've found that there is water seeping (probably) thru the cavitation box, thru some cracks in the fiberglass and into the stringers, back down a reinforcing bar for the stringer and into the bilge.

At first glance, it looks like it's coming through the strut mount bolts, but when dried, it becomes obvious it's leaking from above the bolts (which leads me to believe it's this bar above it instead).

My as to you, fellow Hatt owners (specifically SF owners), if you've ever heard of, or had this issue?

Here's a video of my walking you thru the trail of water...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3CFCde9HyMbk6s4A

And some photos to boot.
    https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...2RzKhGQAdT_ErL
    (start with the video, it makes more sense, IMHO)

Any recommendations on how to further root-cause or address?

All thoughts welcome.

Re: Mystery leak in transom!

Is it fresh or saltwater?
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Not sure this will help you, but I've successfully used talcum powder to chase leaks.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Not sure this will help you, but I've successfully used talcum powder to chase leaks.
    There's a joke in there somewhere.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I have the same boat. Same water in the same place. I tasted mine, I know I will hear crap over that, and it was fresh water. Turns out I have a leak on my fresh water holding tank. I have not found the spot yet. I fixed one crack on the top, just aft of the access hatch under the master bunk. That was not fun. The second is under the guest stateroom, I may have to rent a camera system on a wand to find that one. This one is not on the top, it trickles until enough has wept out and stops, so I am guessing on the side somewhere. If I do not fill the tank, I do not have water in the bilge.

This is my third Hatt, all 3 had a crack on top if the tank, I was told it was from filling too rapidly, creates an air dam and the pressure of the water hitting the top many years, puts stress cracks.

Hope you find the problem.

Tim
    Fishtales
    65c

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    I have the same boat. Same water in the same place. I tasted mine, I know I will hear crap over that, and it was fresh water. Turns out I have a leak on my fresh water holding tank. I have not found the spot yet. I fixed one crack on the top, just aft of the access hatch under the master bunk. That was not fun. The second is under the guest stateroom, I may have to rent a camera system on a wand to find that one. This one is not on the top, it trickles until enough has wept out and stops, so I am guessing on the side somewhere. If I do not fill the tank, I do not have water in the bilge.

This is my third Hatt, all 3 had a crack on top if the tank, I was told it was from filling too rapidly, creates an air dam and the pressure of the water hitting the top many years, puts stress cracks.

Hope you find the problem.

Tim
    Fishtales
    65c
    https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate.../dp/B01MYTHWK4
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Wow, cheap. going to order one.

Thanks Robert,

Tim

Sam’s has a water fill adapter that prevents over pressure in the water tank, it’s very easy crack a seam on the top of the tank. You can find the leak if you let some water out and then fill to the top while you are near the tank at a hatch , as the tank fills, the air at the top will start whistling and the the trickle of water will appear. Unfortunately, this may require a new hatch to be cut , hopefully in the vicinity of the required repair. I am still glad that we have fiberglass tanks in these older boats.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

If someone added a fill valve off of the pressure water system, that can overfill and crack a tank. Always fill from the fill port as it gives an extra vent.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Is it fresh or saltwater?
    I believe it's salt, will boil some down today to verify