Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fiberglass Window Frames

I need to renew my windshield frames , but I am considering going to fiberglass frames, and maybe even the sliders in the salon. I always thought that the aluminum frames were much stronger, but maybe not. Has anyone replaced their frames with fiberglass , and what do you think of the results. I get the feeling that it is expensive, but I haven’t checked pricing yet. I would appreciate any advice.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Re: Fiberglass Window Frames

You are correct the aluminum frames are much stronger.

Several on the forum have had success with side windows, but unsure about windshield ones.

Just to support the forum, I suggest you look immediately to the left sidebar of this page and get at least a quote from BB Marine who has paid for advertising nearly as long as I have been visiting this forum!

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hatt View Post
    You are correct the aluminum frames are much stronger.
    Trying to figure out how you've determined aluminum frames are stronger than fiberglass frames?

We built and installed our own fiberglass frames over 25 years ago, haven't had a leak or other glass issue to date.
    Have posted before how they were built and installed, basically used 3/8" flat fiberglass sheet, cut out the window openings. then cutout the corresponding openings out of 1/4" flat fiberglass sheet (to create the interior receiver to attach the tempered glass to) and then used epoxy to glue the 2 sheets together. The entire panel was then glassed onto the outside of the cabin side and faired in.
    On the inside we did a lot of structural work making sure everything was tied together, including replacing some wet wood, etc.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Trying to figure out how you've determined aluminum frames are stronger than fiberglass frames?

We built and installed our own fiberglass frames over 25 years ago, haven't had a leak or other glass issue to date.
    Have posted before how they were built and installed, basically used 3/8" flat fiberglass sheet, cut out the window openings. then cutout the corresponding openings out of 1/4" flat fiberglass sheet (to create the interior receiver to attach the tempered glass to) and then used epoxy to glue the 2 sheets together. The entire panel was then glassed onto the outside of the cabin side and faired in.
    On the inside we did a lot of structural work making sure everything was tied together, including replacing some wet wood, etc.
    Hi Holden couldn’t find your post on the windows I’m debating on this but I like the sliders when the AC dies
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Think sliders could be built similar to how ours are, just ups the degree of difficulty some.
    You only need 1 panel to move/slide, right?
    So build it the way we did and then slide the panel behind that one, only difference would be the 2 pieces of glass wouldn't be as close as in the current aluminum frame.

Our goal was to keep the water out no matter what, if the AC breaks we go home...........
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

The boats behind the house. A lot of times if I’m on and off the boat all day I just leave the hatches and side windows open and it’s pretty comfortable. When I’m in a marina and someone else is paying the electric I keep it cranked up. But at the house running the ac in the boat will push the electric bill over $1000/month
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I have replaced the forward lower windows on the 58’ Motoryacht I run (1978) and have been very satisfied. I used the frames made by Lookout Boat Windows and had them do the install. Two years after I had them replace the quarter fender/spray rails and am equally satisfied with the quality of workmanship and installation.
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

What about Stainless steel frames? Or extruded aluminum frames (like on production boats and RVs) that are easy to install and inexpensive and just replace them every 10-15 years?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    What about Stainless steel frames? Or extruded aluminum frames (like on production boats and RVs) that are easy to install and inexpensive and just replace them every 10-15 years?
    Sams used to have the extruded channel. I just need to borrow your tig machine

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976