Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

6-71 alternator wiring info

boat is a 1985 Hatteras Convertable with 6-71 TIC

Just had this alternator rebuilt and finally installed back on stbrd motor, alternator hasnt worked since I bought the boat. Seeing if anyone has had experience with these alternators to answer some questions. When I first installed and put the leads back on, the alternator wouldnt charge. Compared the wiring with my port motor alternator and the wires match. My Port motor alternator has alway not started charging until I hit 1100rpm. After talking with the repair shop, they say the alternator required a ignition wire even though my port alternator has been working without an ignition wire attached as long as I have owned the boat and I see no leads hanging around for either side.

Now I was able to get the newly rebuilt alternator working by jumping a wire from the charging wire to the ignition terminal. When I initially did this, the alternator would charge at idle. I did take this jump wire off and now both alternators work the same, no charging at idle but starts charging at 1100rpm and keeps charging when back to idle. So just seeing if anyone has the same situation or knows if this is normal. Also, forgot to ask the repair shop what the model is and cant seem to find it. I have the data tag but cant find a match.

thanks for any info
    alternator id.jpg671 alternator.jpg

Re: 6-71 alternator wiring info

Have a look at the port alternator.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY