Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Drawer fronts wanted

Would anyone have any drawer fronts or cabinet doors left over from their renovation, like the ones pictured?
    Attached Images
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Re: Drawer fronts wanted

I have built those. Its just plywood with Afromosia veneer. The most difficult part is making the edge trim. Any good cabinet maker should be able to do it for you.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have some of various sizes. What sizes are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I have built those. Its just plywood with Afromosia veneer. The most difficult part is making the edge trim. Any good cabinet maker should be able to do it for you.

Sky

What type of wood did you use for the edge trim? From where did you source the plywood?
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Quote Originally Posted by harnett View Post
    I have some of various sizes. What sizes are you looking for?

I need four pieces 13"w x 6"h for the drawers and one 14"w x 27-1/2"h for the door. If someone had larger ones, I could probably modify them to suit.
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamboat View Post
    Sky

What type of wood did you use for the edge trim? From where did you source the plywood?
    Just buy cabinet grade Baltic Birch plywood and veneer with Afromosia. I made the trim out of teak. Once finished they look identical to OEM.
    Sky Cheney

I'll dig into the conex box this weekend and see what sizes I have. I'm pretty sure there were a couple of drawer stacks just don't remember the size.

If you need solid Afromosia stock you can get it from Exotic Lumber here in Annapolis, but teak can be stained to match Afromosia and looks basically identical, as noted above. Afromosia plywood is available out there, I got some from World Products, I think they are in NC. There are no doubt other sources as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Just buy cabinet grade Baltic Birch plywood and veneer with Afromosia. I made the trim out of teak. Once finished they look identical to OEM.

Sky

I did what you said, so the next question is: What kind of stain did you use to match the existing shade of the afromosia as it is darker than the new veneer?
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamboat View Post
    Sky

I did what you said, so the next question is: What kind of stain did you use to match the existing shade of the afromosia as it is darker than the new veneer?
    I used the original Dupont 704C until I ran out. Then I bought the stuff that Sam's has made that is pretty much identical to the 704C. At first the new wood still looks lighter, but it darkens over time. My galley refit looked lighter for a couple of years. Now you would not be able to tell what drawers are new and which are 35 years old.
    Sky Cheney