Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2020 Insurance Renewal

This is always a fun topic - especially if your boat is over 15 years old and you keep in in Florida.

It's not all good news, but it's not horrible either.

According to my broker, this is what we have to look forward to:

The Florida market is down to 4 carriers. Shopping around will not take long.
    Vessels over 15 years old will be harder (not impossible) to insure.
    Vessels over 70' will be harder (not impossible) to insure. There may be a clause requiring a professional captain to operate the boat.
    Actual Cash Value in now the rule. (You're not getting new for old anymore)
    Switching carriers is not easy. Some will renew but not take on new customers If you have a carrier that that is willing to renew, that will likely be your best option.
    Premiums will go up between 10-100%.

For me, it was not too bad all things considered. My carrier will renew, premium increased 13% and I lost the 'new for old" replacement clause. I will only get 20% of material compensation but 100% labor covered.

Re: 2020 Insurance Renewal

When BoatUS went with Geico we got out. I often wonder about rates in other states like Texas, Alabama and Louisiana. I know up North it gets much better. But Florida with a Bahamas endorsement was killer. Granted a Bahamas endorsement is crazy if you want to hit the Abacos (post Dorian) but a couple of month trip to the Exumas must be costly these days.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 05-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

My approved cruising grounds is Florida & Bahamas. My premium is 3% of hull value.

I asked my broker if there was a real advantage to going north during hurricane season to save on insurance. There really isn't. You will likely see a 20% savings in premium which is far less than the cost of moving a boat 500 miles north.

My carrier in California quit insuring yachts, Old Reliable Insurance. I"m now with some outfit called New Hampshire
    my premium went from $2800 to $5000 a year for same coverage, same deductible. Less competition sucks
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Insurance makes no sense. 3% of value on older boats but on bigger newer boats Like the 84 footer I run it s 0.5% of the boat value... incl occasional charters.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My renewal with Markel jumped 20% for the third year in a row. My agent sent me to New Hampshire at a premium where i was back 3 years ago. Geico BoatUS advises that they no longer write boats over 50 years old.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

If that's the case it looks like this will be my last year with them.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I’ve been with NH for three years. It’s been a good value viz others. Last year I claimed the max $500 hurricane relocation provision. No surprise my premium this year increased ... wait for it...$500.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    If that's the case it looks like this will be my last year with them.
    Hopefully it is just issuing new policies, and keeping existing renewals. And apparently it is impossible to get liability only coverage on older/"bigger" boats?!?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Given the cost of fuel to relocate North for H season it did not make sense for us. But the Florida and Bahamas endorsements were pricey.
    Regards
    Dan