Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: 2020 Insurance Renewal

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    When BoatUS went with Geico we got out. I often wonder about rates in other states like Texas, Alabama and Louisiana. I know up North it gets much better. But Florida with a Bahamas endorsement was killer. Granted a Bahamas endorsement is crazy if you want to hit the Abacos (post Dorian) but a couple of month trip to the Exumas must be costly these days.
    Can you explain it in detail

Thought I'd revive this old thread...

This weekend's dock chatter was all about the difficulty in getting insurance in the years to come here in the southeast corner of the USA.
    Conversation went something like the biggest risk to the future of vintage boat ownership in hurricane alley is not loss of marinas, sea level rise, the economy or who wins the November election. It's the inability to get insurance.
    So the solution would be to summer somewhere north of Virginia and venture south (or not) Nov-May.

This may morph the thread, but being the OP, I can probably get away with it.

So, I'm retired and wife can work anywhere there's good cell and wifi service.

I'm not familiar with the Chesapeake so looking for suggestion for favorite marinas and locations. I know Dr. Jim is happy with St. Andrews. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Passages; 09-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Suck it up and go liability only.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I know I am not down South but we had a real hard time with finding insurance for our 1980 43 DC although we have had two sailboats neither seamed to count as being a real boater with all companies we talked with. We were asked about experience, the gecko came though all they wanted was a copy of the survey. Policy states coverage for all US and Canada.
    Last edited by Jims43DC; 09-28-2020 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Suck it up and go liability only.
    Ouch. A $300k hit would leave a mark.

If insurance becomes impossible for a boat of our vintage, I'd either become a snowbird or sell the boat, buy a house and get a 40 something newer boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Thought I'd revive this old thread...

This weekend's dock chatter was all about the difficulty in getting insurance in the years to come here in the southeast corner of the USA.
    Conversation went something like the biggest risk to the future of vintage boat ownership in hurricane alley is not loss of marinas, sea level rise, the economy or who wins the November election. It's the inability to get insurance.
    So the solution would be to summer somewhere north of Virginia and venture south (or not) Nov-May.

This may morph the thread, but being the OP, I can probably get away with it.

So, I'm retired and wife can work anywhere there's good cell and wifi service.

I'm not familiar with the Chesapeake so looking for suggestion for favorite marinas and locations. I know Dr. Jim is happy with St. Andrews. Any other suggestions?

We have kept 3 different boats at The Salt Ponds in Hampton. Not much in the way of amenities, however our present boat a 41 ft Sailboat runs us $300 a month.
    Cape Charles is 15 miles across the bay, and its an easy run to Norfolk or around the corner up the James.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    We have kept 3 different boats at The Salt Ponds in Hampton. Not much in the way of amenities, however our present boat a 41 ft Sailboat runs us $300 a month.
    Cape Charles is 15 miles across the bay, and its an easy run to Norfolk or around the corner up the James.
    Thanks, but the admiral would be looking for a nice marina with a pool. Reasonably close to stores and activities. We are now at a YC in Fort Lauderdale and paying about $2000/month for dockage and utilities.r

I post this on every insurance thread, so here goes: call MTOA (Marine Trawlers Owners Association) and find out what their members policy is like and what it costs. It is $60 a year for membership and the savings in insurance was much, much more than that. We have a Markel policy through them that goes through the Jack Martin agency in Annapolis.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I like going to St Michaels, also Rock Hall, Annapolis (I live there) and Solomons. I'm not keen on visiting Baltimore, but lots of folks like it. There are also a ton of nice anchorages up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    We have a Markel policy through them that goes through the Jack Martin agency in Annapolis.
    I was a Jack Martin customer 2004-2008, so I called them this time, twice, and sent them a quote request on line. Must have bee the COVID thing because I never heard from them.

Cruthers on the East Coast took good care of me. Ended up with Windsor-Mount Joy for what I thought was a reasonable number.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay