Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Not allowed full speed with 8v71’s whilst surveying

Unless it's a no wake zone or there's some kind of speed or safety limitation, I'm at 1950 rpm and up on plane for most of my cruising on the Hatt.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Unless it's a no wake zone or there's some kind of speed or safety limitation, I'm at 1950 rpm and up on plane for most of my cruising on the Hatt.
    with two natural 8v71’s??
    if yes; by any chance an idea about gph 😎

Quote Originally Posted by eshvisser View Post
    with two natural 8v71’s??
    if yes; by any chance an idea about gph 
    No. the boat has twin 8V-71TI's. I think they're rated at around 435 Hp each and about 900 lb.ft. of torque
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

From a Canuck here up in the wideness, Sky nailed it did, 50 yrs boating power boats and that has been my experience.

well after reading all the responses the weigjt issue makes sense to me i'm a 53 with granite tops 21 cubic foot refrigerator a 5ft extension cockpit with a 220 gallon fuel tank , yes it sounds like I've got a weight problem so my planing days are over.

Oh and 1000 lb tender on the roof

We all gain a few pounds over the years😄
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    We all gain a few pounds over the years
    I will spare you the long version... but in a minor dispute with a boat builder I once took everything off my boat and weighed it. Not hard to do, put a scale on the dock and step on it with stuff in your hand, subtract your own weight. Have an assistant with a clip board.

We were loaded for light coastal cruising. a weeks worth of food, beer, tools, parts, clothing, extra ground tackle, 2250 pounds. On a 30 foot sail boat.

I later repeated the process, for grins and giggles on our 42 footer. It was over 5000 pounds, which included and extra battery bank, extra fuel, water, safety gear, dinghy etc. etc.......

I can't even imagine what one can squirrel away on a 53' Hatt. And yes, the hulls contain quite a bit of water too after 40-50 years.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-21-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I will spare you the long version... but in a minor dispute with a boat builder I once took everything off my boat and weighed it. Not hard to do, put a scale on the dock and step on it with stuff in your hand, subtract your own weight. Have an assistant with a clip board.We were loaded for light coastal cruising. a weeks worth of food, beer, tools, parts, clothing, extra ground tackle, 2250 pounds. On a 30 foot sail boat.I later repeated the process, for grins and giggles on our 42 footer. It was over 5000 pounds, which included and extra battery bank, extra fuel, water, safety gear, dinghy etc. etc.......I can't even imagine what one can squirrel away on a 53' Hatt. And yes, the hulls contain quite a bit of water too after 40-50 years.
    Commenting on the weight of women’s handbags over drinks, my wife and her best friend counted out 17 lipsticks between them right on the table. Wow, says me. Do you prefer my looks with makeup or without, she says. Yachting, like many things, ain’t for minimalist. And we’re not going anywhere near the water weight thing.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

And the older boats carried a lot of in needed weight. The original helm assembly on the 53 must have weighted 150 lbs. I got rid of it .. lots of 1” plywood in places where it was no needed. On by boat when I tore down the old showers, i found 30 lbs of heavy filler under the pans. The Old galley cabinetry and counter top itself must have weight twice what the new one weighs.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat