Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Pilothouse Door Roller Replacement '89 70MY

Good Afternoon All,
    The starboard side pilothouse door on my boat is barely sliding. Port isn't a lot better. We haven't been able to figure out how to remove the door to get at the rollers. Has anyone seen this type of door or have any thoughts?
    Any input would be most appreciated!
    Marcus O'Rourke
    Attached Images
    Last edited by marcusorourke; 05-18-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Re: Pilothouse Door Roller Replacement '89 70MY

Adding some more photos.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by marcusorourke View Post
    Good Afternoon All,
    The starboard side pilothouse door on my boat is barely sliding. Port isn't a lot better. We haven't been able to figure out how to remove the door to get at the rollers. Has anyone seen this type of door or have any thoughts?
    Marcus O'Rourke
    Roller issue on the bottom rack. Two sets were used. Contact Sam's with your hull number. One set set still available,

My guess from pictures is the bottom of the door comes apart to get it out. Doors look like they need some love so refurb and get operational at same time. Buy some extra rollers if plastic like I have on my older boats. Sometimes something messes up the roller and it needs early replacement.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

If I remember right, we took the screws out of the bottom track. We had to remove the rear door stop to get at the last screw. Then I think the door and track come right out.

this is from my memory which is questionable at best.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Quote Originally Posted by marcusorourke View Post
    Good Afternoon All,
    Marcus O'Rourke
    I just replaced the rollers on my 61 CPMY. Remove the lower bottom exterior trim piece (it’s screwed on) The door can then be lifted up over the track and the bottom moved out and down. Each door needs 4 rollers, the top ones have internal springs which keep tension on the door when it’s in the track.
    Probably best to replace all 4 on each door but you might get away with just the bottom 2 rollers.
    I got mine new from Sam’s and replaced all 4 on both doors. A couple of the wood screw fasteners
    holding the rollers on the door were a challenge to remove due to corrosion. Otherwise, it was a
    quick and easy fix and the doors now slide great.

Seajay71

Quote Originally Posted by seajay71 View Post
    I just replaced the rollers on my 61 CPMY. Remove the lower bottom exterior trim piece (it’s screwed on) The door can then be lifted up over the track and the bottom moved out and down. Each door needs 4 rollers, the top ones have internal springs which keep tension on the door when it’s in the track.
    Probably best to replace all 4 on each door but you might get away with just the bottom 2 rollers.
    I got mine new from Sam’s and replaced all 4 on both doors. A couple of the wood screw fasteners
    holding the rollers on the door were a challenge to remove due to corrosion. Otherwise, it was a
    quick and easy fix and the doors now slide great.

Seajay71
    Seajay is describing the wooden pilot house door. That's not the same as the aluminum doors used in later years. OP has the aluminum doors.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I spoke with Jeremy at Sam's today and have my marching orders. I'm going to pull the frame on Thursday. I'll report how it goes and include some pictures.
    Thank you very much for your replies.
    Last edited by marcusorourke; 05-19-2020 at 08:25 PM.

You might find you just have dirt or a pebble in the track. That’ll stop it. Mine are 43 years old and working fine if I keep them clean.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    You might find you just have dirt or a pebble in the track. That’ll stop it. Mine are 43 years old and working fine if I keep them clean.
    Again, these are totally different doors. The aluminum doors have a different track and roller setup. I've rebuilt both and the aluminum ones are a PITA.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI